|City and County of Honolulu|
Crossroads of the Pacific
The Big Pineapple
Town ("Town" is a commonly used local nickname for Honolulu, in reference to the fact that the Honolulu, or "Town" side of the island is the most urbanized and dense part of Oahu.)
Haʻaheo No ʻO Honolulu (The Pride of Honolulu)
|Incorporated||April 30, 1907|
|• Mayor||Kirk Caldwell (D)|
|• City||68.4 sq mi (177.2 km2)|
|• Land||60.5 sq mi (156.7 km2)|
|• Water||7.9 sq mi (20.5 km2)|
|Elevation||19 ft (6 m)|
|• City||337,256 (55th)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||5,791/sq mi (2,236.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−10 (Hawaiian (HST))|
|GNIS feature ID||366212|
Honolulu means "sheltered harbor" in the Hawaiian language. No one knows for sure when Honolulu was first settled or when the name was first used.
Honolulu harbor was called Kulolia before foreigners came. The first foreigner was Captain William Brown of the English ship Butterworth, in 1794. He named the harbor Fair Haven. Other foreign captains is started calling it Brown's Harbor. The name Honolulu was used some time after that.
Kamehameha III made Honolulu the capital city of the Kingdom of Hawaii in 1850. It was also the capital of the Republic of Hawaii and the Territory of Hawaii. It stayed the capital when Hawaii became a state in 1959.
- Honolulu And Kapolei Share City Lights 2005, Honolulu, HI, USA: Honolulu County, Hawaii, November 29, 2005, archived from the original on November 5, 2013, retrieved June 30, 2012 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "About the City, Official Website of the City and County of Honolulu". City and County of Honolulu. City and County of Honolulu. April 24, 2012. Archived from the original on October 12, 2004. Retrieved April 24, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Geographic Ientifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Urban Honolulu CDP, Hawaii". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 25, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "American FactFinder – Results". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on April 17, 2016. Retrieved April 16, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Honolulu". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Honolulu, Hawaii.|