Janet Ann Napolitano (born November 29, 1957) is an American politician who is currently president of the University of California system. She became the first woman to serve as Secretary of Homeland Security on January 21, 2009. Before becoming Secretary of Homeland Security, she was the Governor of Arizona and Attorney General of Arizona. She announced her resignation of Homeland Security in July 2013 to become president of the University of California. She assumed presidency of the University of California on September 30, 2013, and is the first woman in the post.
|President of the University of California|
|Assumed office |
September 30, 2013
|Preceded by||Mark Yudof|
|3rd United States Secretary of Homeland Security|
January 21, 2009 – September 6, 2013
Rand Beers (Acting)
|Preceded by||Michael Chertoff|
|Succeeded by||Jeh Johnson|
|21st Governor of Arizona|
January 6, 2003 – January 21, 2009
|Preceded by||Jane Dee Hull|
|Succeeded by||Jan Brewer|
|23rd Attorney General of Arizona|
January 4, 1999 – January 6, 2003
|Governor||Jane Dee Hull|
|Preceded by||Grant Woods|
|Succeeded by||Terry Goddard|
|Born||November 29, 1957|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Santa Clara University|
University of Virginia
Janet Napolitano was born on November 29, 1957, in New York City. She is the daughter of Jane Marie (née Winer) and Leonard Michael Napolitano, who was the dean of the University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Her father was of Italian ancestry and her mother had German and Austrian ancestry. Napolitano is a Methodist. She was the eldest of three children; she has a younger brother and sister. She was raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Albuquerque, New Mexico, where she graduated from Sandia High School in Albuquerque in 1975 and was voted Most Likely to Succeed. She graduated from Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, California, where she won a Truman Scholarship, and was valedictorian. In 1978, she studied for a term at the London School of Economics as part of Santa Clara's exchange programme through IES Abroad. She then received her Juris Doctor (J.D.) from the University of Virginia School of Law. After law school she served as a law clerk for Judge Mary M. Schroeder of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and then joined Schroeder's former firm, Lewis and Roca located in Phoenix.
Napolitano has been undergoing cancer-related treatment since August 2016. On January 17, 2017, Napolitano was hospitalized in Oakland for complications from the cancer treatment. She was released from the hospital on January 23, 2017.
- Reitwiesner, William Addams. "Ancestry of Janet Napolitano". WARGS.com. Archived from the original on 2016-10-17. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- Radzischewski, Andre F. (December 7, 2008). "Napolitano's Heritage, Border Strategies Fascinate Italy". The Arizona Republic. Archived from the original on December 25, 2008. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- "Elections: Janet Napolitano (Dem)". Washington Times. August 26, 2007. Retrieved March 4, 2009.[dead link]
- "65 Years | 65 Faces of IES Abroad - Janet Napolitano". www.iesabroad.org. 2015-10-20. Archived from the original on 2020-01-17. Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- Goldstein, Dana (January 9, 2014). "Janet Napolitano and the New Third Way". The American Prospect. Archived from the original on June 12, 2010. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- "JANET NAPOLITANO HOSPITALIZED DURING CANCER TREATMENT". Jerusalem Post. Reuters. January 17, 2017. Archived from the original on January 20, 2017. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- Matier & Ross (January 22, 2017). "Napolitano's cancer treatment took UC regents by surprise". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on January 29, 2017. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- Nick Anderson (January 17, 2017). "UC President Janet Napolitano hospitalized with cancer". Washington Post. Archived from the original on February 2, 2017. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "UC President Napolitano Returns To Work After Hospitalization". CBS. January 23, 2017. Archived from the original on January 24, 2017. Retrieved January 23, 2017.