3rd Prime Minister of Canada (1821-1893)
Sir John Joseph Caldwell Abbott PC QC KCMG (March 12, 1821 – October 30, 1893) was the third Prime Minister of Canada. He served in the office for seventeen months, from June 16, 1891 to November 24, 1892. Through his daughter, Abbott is the great-grandfather of Canadian Academy Award-winning actor Christopher Plummer.
Sir John Abbott
|3rd Prime Minister of Canada|
June 16, 1891 – November 24, 1892
|Preceded by||John A. Macdonald|
|Succeeded by||John Thompson|
|19th Mayor of Montreal|
|Preceded by||Honoré Beaugrand|
|Succeeded by||Jacques Grenier|
|Senator for Inkerman, Quebec|
May 12, 1887 – October 30, 1893
|Appointed by||John A. Macdonald|
|Preceded by||John Hamilton|
|Succeeded by||William Owens|
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
|Succeeded by||Lemuel Cushing, Jr.|
|Preceded by||Thomas Christie|
|Succeeded by||James Crocket Wilson|
John Joseph Caldwell Abbott
March 12, 1821
St-Andre-Est, Lower Canada
|Died||October 30, 1893 (aged 72)|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Martha Bethune|
|Relations||Joseph Abbott, father|
|Children||5 sons, 5 daughters|
|Alma mater||McGill University|
|Profession||Lawyer (corporate), Professor|
|Cabinet||Minister Without Portfolio (1887-1891)|
President of the Privy Council (1891-1892)
Leader of the Government in the Senate (1887-1893)
Abbott died on March 12, 1893 from complications of pneumonia in his Montreal, Quebec home. He was 72 years old.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Abbott, Sir John". Encyclopedia Britannica. Vol. I: A-Ak - Bayes (15th ed.). Chicago, IL: Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc. 2010. p. 13. ISBN 978-1-59339-837-8.
- ↑ "Canadian Encyclopedia". Archived from the original on 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- ↑ "CBC: Life And Times". CBC.ca. November 12, 2002. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
- Media related to Sir John Abbott at Wikimedia Commons
- Appleton's Cyclopedia of American Biography, edited by James Grant Wilson, John Fiske and Stanley L. Klos. Six volumes, New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1887-1889