Joker (2019 movie)
Joker is a 2019 American crime movie based on the DC Comics character of the same name. It is to be the first movie in a series of DC-based movies separate from the shared DC Extended Universe (DCEU).
|Directed by||Todd Phillips|
by DC Comics
|Music by||Hildur Guðnadóttir|
|Edited by||Jeff Groth|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
The movie is directed by Todd Phillips. It stars Joaquin Phoenix as the eponymous super villain. It also stars Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Bill Camp, Frances Conroy, Brett Cullen, Glenn Fleshler, Douglas Hodge, Marc Maron, Josh Pais and Shea Whigham.
Martin Scorsese was also attached to produce, but he dropped out in July 2018. Joker was released on October 4, 2019 with mixed reviews from critics, while many liked Phoenix's performance, many criticized the story and the movie's portrayal of mental illness and violence.
Joker has made over $1 billion, making it the first R-rated movie to pass the billion-dollar mark at the worldwide box office, making it the highest grossing R-rated movie of all time.
At the 92nd Academy Awards, the movie received 11 nominations; indlucing Best Picture, Best Actor for Phoenix and Best Director for Phillips. Joker is the second comic book-based movie to be nominated for Best Picture after Black Panther. It is also the highest Oscar nominated comic book movie, earning eleven nominations.
A sequel is currently in development, with Philips, Silver and Phoenix expected to return.
- Kit, Borys (June 13, 2018). "Warner Bros. Shifts DC Strategy Amid Executive Change-Up". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Ashurst, Sam; Chapman, Matt (August 30, 2018). "Joaquin Phoenix's Joker film release date, plot, cast, trailer and everything you need to know". Digital Spy. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- McClintock, Pamela; Kit, Borys (June 18, 2018). "'Joker' Origin Movie Lands Fall 2019 Release Date". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- "Trump hosts White House screening of 'Joker'". news.yahoo.com. Archived from the original on April 29, 2020. Retrieved 2020-05-14.
- "'Joker' gets 11 Oscar nominations. Yes, Hollywood takes comic book movies seriously". The Los Angeles Times. January 13, 2020.