Jorge David Glas Espinel (born 13 September 1969) is an Ecuadorean politician and electrical engineer. He has been Vice President of Ecuador from 24 May 2013 until his resignation on 13 December 2017.
|Vice President of Ecuador[a]|
24 May 2013 – 3 January 2018
|Preceded by||Lenín Moreno|
|Succeeded by||María Vicuña|
|Coordinating Minister of Strategic Sectors|
5 April 2010 – 10 November 2012
|Preceded by||Galo Borja|
|Succeeded by||Rafael Poveda|
|Minister of Telecommunications and Information Society|
14 August 2009 – 3 April 2010
|Preceded by||Position created|
|Succeeded by||Jaime Guerrero|
Jorge David Glas Espinel
13 September 1969
|Political party||PAIS Alliance|
|Spouse(s)||Cinthia Díaz Aveiga|
|Parents||Jorge Glas Viejó |
Norma Espinel Aráuz
He holds a degree in electrical engineering from the ESPOL which he obtained on 22 September 2008. On 3 January 2013 Jorge Glas was reported to the police for plagiarism of his thesis. He was reported by Galo Lara, a member of the rival Patriotic Society Party. The thesis was reviewed by Genove Gneco, a professor from the Dominican Republic, who investigated the thesis and found 35% of it to be suspected plagiarism. An investigation by a commission set up by ESPOL found Glas not guilty of plagiarism. Glas however recognized that he should have cited his sources better.
Since 2007 Glas has held several political appointments in the government of Rafael Correa. He was General Manager of the now shut down Solidarity Fund between 2007 and 2009. He was also the President of the National Telecomunications Council.
Afterwards Glas was Minister of Telecommunications. He directed the joining together of Andinatel S.A. and Pacifitel S.A. into a single company,the National Corporation of Telecommunications, a corporation that he became the first chairperson of.
Glas started his time as Vice President on 24 May 2013.
- (Spanish) Araujo, Alberto (2013-01-23). "El hombre de los contratos millonarios". El Comercio. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- (Spanish) "Asambleísta Lara dice que Jorge Glas ejercía su cargo cuando era bachiller". El Universo. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- (Spanish) "Informe señala inconsistencias en tesis de Jorge Glas". El Universo. 2013-01-09. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- (Spanish) "Jorge Glas dice que Espol ratifica validez de su tesis de grado". El Universo. 2013-05-17. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- (Spanish) Vinueza, Robertson (2012-11-10). "Jorge Glas es el candidato a la Vicepresidencia del Ecuador por la Alianza Pais". Agencia Pública de Noticias del Ecuador y Suramérica. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Lenín Moreno retira de sus funciones al vicepresidente de Ecuador Jorge Glas" (in Spanish). CNN Espanol. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "Ecuador's President Lenin Moreno Strips Vice President Jorge Glas Of All Functions". NDTV. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- "Presidente Lenín Moreno retira de todas sus funciones a Jorge Glas" (in Spanish). El Universo. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "Ecuador leader strips vice president of powers due to corruption case". The Washington Post. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- Suspended from 3 August 2017 until his removal from office. Powers and duties were transferred to María Vicuña.