June 2019 Gulf of Oman incident
On June 13, 2019, two oil tankers were attacked near the Strait of Hormuz while transiting the Gulf of Oman. The Japanese Kokuka Courageous and Norwegian Front Altair were attacked with limpet mines or flying objects, causing fire damage to both ships.
|Date||June 13, 2019|
|Location||Gulf of Oman, Indian Ocean|
|Target||Merchant ships operated by companies based in:|
|Non-fatal injuries||1 crew member wounded|
|Property damage||2 merchant ships damaged|
|Suspects|| Iran (on the same day Iranin President met the Japanese PM ,alleged by the United States, and supported by Saudi Arabia, Israel, and the United Kingdom; denied by Iran)|
United States[disputed ] (hinted at by Iran to be a false flag operation)
American and Iranian military personnel responded to the attacks and were involved in rescuing crew members from the ships. The attacks took place a month after a similar incident and on the same day that Ayatollah Khamenei met with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe in Iran.
Amid tensions between Iran and the United States, the United States blamed Iran for the attacks. Saudi Arabia and the United Kingdom supported the United States' accusation, while Japan and Germany want more proof of Iran's culpability. Iran denied the accusation, blaming the United States for spreading wrong information. The cause is currently under investigation.
Another similar incident occurred in 2021.
- Kirkpatrick, David D.; Pérez-Peña, Richard; Reed, Stanley (June 13, 2019). "Tankers Are Attacked in Mideast, and U.S. Says Video Shows Iran Was Involved". Retrieved June 14, 2019 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Gulf of Oman tankers attacked: Live updates". www.cnn.com. June 13, 2019. Retrieved June 13, 2019.
- Washington, Reuters (June 14, 2019). "Saudi Arabia agrees Iran was behind tanker attacks, says Adel al-Jubeir". Reuters. Al-Arabiya. Reuters - Al-Arabiya. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- "Iran hints US could be behind 'suspicious' tanker attacks". France 24. 16 June 2019.
- "Iranian Officials Blame U.S., Israel for Tanker Attacks As Washington Struggles to Build Anti-Tehran Consensus". Newsweek. 17 June 2019.
- Gambrell, Jon (June 13, 2019). "Tankers targeted near Strait of Hormuz amid Iran-US tensions". AP NEWS. Retrieved June 13, 2019.
- Pérez-Peña, Richard; Reed, Stanley; Kirkpatrick, David D. (June 13, 2019). "Tankers Attacked Again in Gulf of Oman, Raising Fears of Wider Conflict". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved June 13, 2019.
- "Japan demands more proof from U.S. that Iran attacked tankers". Japan Today. June 16, 2019. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- "GERMANY JOINS CHORUS CASTING DOUBT ON TRUMP ADMINISTRATION CLAIM THAT IRAN WAS BEHIND ATTACK ON OIL TANKERS". Japan Times. June 14, 2019. Retrieved June 16, 2019.