Kimi-Matias Räikkönen (pronounced [ˈkimi ˈmɑtiɑs ˈræikkønen]) (born October 17, 1979 in Espoo, Finland) is a race car driver, currently driving for Alfa Romeo Racing. He is the 2007 Formula One World Drivers' Champion.
17 October 1979
|Formula One World Championship career|
|2020 team||Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari|
|Entries||300 (297 starts)|
|First entry||2001 Australian Grand Prix|
|First win||2003 Malaysian Grand Prix|
|Last win||2018 United States Grand Prix|
|Last entry||2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix|
|2018 position||3rd (251 pts)|
|World Rally Championship record|
|Teams||Citroën Junior Team, ICE 1 Racing|
|First rally||2009 Rally Finland|
|Last rally||2011 Wales Rally GB|
Räikkönen entered Formula One as a regular driver for Sauber-Petronas in 2001. Having previously only raced in very junior open-wheel categories, he was given his Super Licence from the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) after a performance delivery promise from his team boss, Peter Sauber. He joined McLaren Mercedes in 2002, and became a title contender by finishing runner-up in the 2003 and 2005 championships to Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso, respectively.
Switching to Ferrari in 2007, Räikkönen became the highest paid driver in the sport, and secured his first Formula One World Drivers' Championship, beating McLaren drivers Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso by one point.
Räikkönen is very calm, cool, and calculating in his race strategy—prompting the nickname "Iceman", which is subtly written on the side of his current helmet design. His other nicknames include Kimppa, Räikkä and Kimster (used by his mechanics).
Räikkönen joined the ranks of former F1 drivers who have moved to NASCAR in 2011. His first race was the Camping World Truck Series on May 20 at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in Charlotte, North Carolina. He finished in 15th place on the lead lap. He hopes to work his way up to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
Räikkönen's second NASCAR race was also at Charlotte. He raced in the Nationwide Series. He received a penalty for speeding on pit lane, and finished in 27th place. After the race, he returned to Europe to compete in some more rally races. Räikkönen said his plans are to "see what happens."
Results and recordsEdit
|Season||Series||Team Name||Races||Poles||Wins||Points||Final Placing|
|1999||European Formula Ford||?||2||?||?||?||5th|
|Formula Ford Festival||Continental Racing Van Diemen||1||0||0||N/A||NC|
|Formula Renault 2000 UK Winter Championship||Manor Motorsport||4||4||4||40||1st|
|Formula Renault 2000 UK||Haywood Racing||4||0||0||?||?|
|2000||Formula Renault 2000 Eurocup||?||2||2||2||62||7th|
|Formula Renault 2000 UK||Manor Motorsport||10||6||7||316||1st|
|World Rally Championship||Tommi Mäkinen Racing||1||0||0||0||-|
|2010||World Rally Championship||Citroën Junior Team||13||0||0||15||10th|
|2011||World Rally Championship||Ice 1 Racing||4||0||0||18*||8th*|
|NASCAR Camping World Truck Series||Kyle Busch Motorsports||1||0||0||0↓||NC↓|
|NASCAR Nationwide Series||Kyle Busch Motorsports||1||0||0||0↓||NC↓|
* Season in progress
↓ As a guest driver, Räikkönen was ineligible for points
Complete Formula One resultsEdit
(key) (Races in bold indicate pole position) (Races in italics indicate fastest lap)
Complete WRC resultsEdit
|2009||Tommi Mäkinen Racing||Fiat Grande Punto S2000||IRE||NOR||CYP||POR||ARG||ITA||GRC||POL||FIN
|2010||Citroën Junior Team||Citroën C4 WRC||SWE
|2011||ICE 1 Racing||Citroën DS3 WRC||SWE
* Season in progress
- "Гран-при России по автогонкам "Формулы-1"" [Grand Prix of Russia in Formula One racing] (in Russian). Sochi, Krasnodar Krai, Russia: The Russian Presidential Press and Information Office. 30 April 2017. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Stubin, Teemu (2 June 2016). "Kimi Räikkönen hauskuutti tietovisassa: "Hei, hei, tuo on veljeni!"". Iltalehti (in Finnish). Retrieved 4 February 2017.
Croft julisti "Matias"-vastauksen oikeaksi, mutta Räikkönen kiiruhti korjaamaan - hänen etunimensä kun on oikeasti Kimi-Matias.
- Mitchell, Scott. "Kimi Raikkonen to return to Sauber F1 team after Ferrari exit". Autosport. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- Formula 1 : Biography Kimi Raikkonen - F1-Live.com
- Forumula1.net - Räikkönen now highest paid driver in F1
- Ryan, Nate (2011-05-21). "Kimi Raikkonen finishes 15th at Charlotte in NASCAR debut". USA Today. Gannett. Retrieved 2011-05-27.
- "Former F1 champion Raikkonen set for NASCAR debut". cnn.com. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. 2011-03-31. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- Spencer, Reid (2011-05-30). "Notebook: Raikkonen hot-foots out of NASCAR—for now". sportingnews.com. Retrieved 2011-06-04.