Liège (/liˈɛʒ, liˈeɪʒ/ lee-EZH, lee-AYZH, French: [ljɛʒ] (listen), locally [li.eːʃ]; Walloon: Lidje [liːtʃ]; Dutch: Luik [lœyk] ( listen); German: Lüttich [ˈlʏtɪç]; Latin: Leodium) is a city in Belgium. It is the cultural centre of the Walloon region of Belgium and the capital of the province of Liège. Liège is also seat of a Roman Catholic bishop. In 2007, 188,907 people lived there.
|Coordinates: 50°38′N 05°34′E / 50.633°N 5.567°ECoordinates: 50°38′N 05°34′E / 50.633°N 5.567°E|
|• Mayor||Willy Demeyer (PS)|
|• Governing party/ies||PS – cdH|
|• Total||68.65 km2 (26.51 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,900/km2 (7,400/sq mi)|
It is at 50° 38 North, 05° 34 East.
The first written trace of the city was found in 558 as Leodicum or Vicus Leodicus. From 717, Liege was made the seat of a bishopric and became a cultural centre in the Middle Ages. These bishops ruled the city as Prince-Bishops until the 1790s. In the French Revolution, the cathedral was damaged, partially burned down and then completely detroyed. In the 19th century, the city lived on coal-mining, steel industry and trade. The region was the second biggest economic center in Europe after the UK in the 19th century.
Today Liege is a major educational hub, with a university and many high schools. It is a crossing point in Europe, Liège has the second biggest inner harbour and the 8th biggest cargo airport in Europe (Liège Airport). The city, that had a lot of problems since the 1970s because of the end of the steel industry and coal-mining, is now having a good economy thanks to the logistics and high tech industry (biotechnology, space industry, IT).
- ↑ "Wettelijke Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2018". Statbel. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- ↑ "Liège". Collins English Dictionary. HarperCollins. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- ↑ "Liège"[permanent dead link] (US) and "Liège". Oxford Dictionaries UK Dictionary. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- ↑ "Liège". Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- ↑ "Werkelijke bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2007 / Population de droit par commune au 1 janvier 2007 (.xls)". Archived from the original on 2009-02-06. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- ↑ "Geografische coördinaten van de gemeenten (.xls)". Archived from the original on 2008-11-24. Retrieved 2008-07-15.