|City and County of Mombasa|
Montage of the city of Mombasa
(Unity for Development)
|• Land||219.9 km2 (84.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||50 m (160 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Mombasa is a coastal town with flat topography. The town of Mombasa is centred on Mombasa Island, but extends to the mainland. The island is separated from the mainland by two creeks.
Mombasa city has a population of 1,208,333 in 2019.
Mombasa has a cosmopolitan population, with the Swahili people and Mijikenda predominant. Other communities include the Akamba and Taita Bantus as well as a significant population of Luo and Luhya peoples from Western Kenya. The major religions practised in the city are Islam, Christianity and Hinduism. Over the centuries, many immigrants and traders have settled in Mombasa, particularly from the Middle East, Somalia, and India.
Mombasa is a centre of coastal tourism in Kenya. Many people visit the Old Town and Fort Jesus.
Mombasa is a major trade centre and home of large seaport. The Kenyan Dock Worker's Union is in Mombasa and has 5,000 members. Other local industries include an oil refinery with a capacity of 80,000 barrels (13 ML) a day, and a cement factory capable of producing over 1.1 million tons per year.
Mombasa currently has a modern railway station that replaced the century-old station built by the British. Kenya Railways transports passengers and cargo between Nairobi to Mombasa. The journey takes approximately five hours between the two cities.
In popular cultureEdit
One-Way Ticket to Mombasa (Menolippu Mombasaan) is a 2002 Finnish film directed by Hannu Tuomainen.
In the Indian movie Mr. India, Mombasa is mentioned in the popular song "Hawa Hawaii".
Mombasa is featured in the 2010 movie, Inception, where Cobb meets Eames and Yusuf before the job takes place.
In the US, the Walt Disney World resort recreated a Kenyan village in the Africa section of the Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park named "Harambe", which is modelled after Mombasa. The village features a store called the "Mombasa Marketplace".
- 2019 Kenya Population and Housing Census Volume I: Population by County and Sub-County Archived 2019-11-13 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved 7 November 2019.
- Kenya 2009 Census Archived 26 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "Country Reports: Kenya". Kenya Country Monitor. 1.
- Mombasa Refinery – A Barrel Full. Abarrelfull.wikidot.com (8 December 2012).
- "Home". mombasacement.com.
- Home Archived 7 July 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Kpa.co.ke. Retrieved on 17 August 2013.
- "Menolippu Mombasaan" (original title)
- "Magic of 'Mr India' is still on". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 2020-03-29. Retrieved 2020-09-16.
- Review of "Consummation in Mombasa" on the site of public fund "Union of writers of Moscow", 2020 (in Russian)
- «Консуммация в Момбасе» by Andrei Gusev, 2017 (in Russian)
- Mombasa Marketplace; Mouse Planet Guide; Walt Disney's Animal Kingdom; accessed October 2015