The Moscow Oblast (Russian: Моско́вская о́бласть, Moskovskaya oblast) is a federal subject of Russia. It is located in western Russia, and it completely surrounds Moscow. The oblast has no capital, and oblast officials reside in Moscow or in other cities within the oblast. As of 2015, the oblast has a population of 7,231,068 people.
Balashikha is the biggest city in the oblast, with a population of 215,494 people in 2010.
In 1708 Moscow governorate became one of the 8 first ones in Russia.
In 1929 was established Central Industrial Oblast, in little time renamed in Moscow Oblast.
The Battle of Moscow was fought in the oblast.
According to the 2010 census, the ethnic composition is:
- According to Article 24 of the Charter of Moscow Oblast, the government bodies of the oblast are located in the city of Moscow and throughout the territory of Moscow Oblast. However, Moscow is not named the official administrative center of the oblast.
- Moscow Oblast Territorial Branch of the Federal State Statistics Service. Оценка численности населения на 1 января 2014 и 2015 годов и в среднем за 2014 год Archived 2017-03-22 at the Wayback Machine (in Russian)
- НАЦИОНАЛЬНЫЙ СОСТАВ НАСЕЛЕНИЯ ПО СУБЪЕКТАМ РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ. gks.ru
- Arena – Atlas of Religions and Nationalities in Russia. Sreda.org
- 2012 Survey Maps. "Ogonek", № 34 (5243), 27/08/2012. Retrieved 24-09-2012.