Newark is a city in Alameda County, California, United States. It was created as a city in September 1955. Newark is an enclave, surrounded by the city of Fremont, California. The three cities of Newark, Fremont, and Union City make up the "Tri-City" area. Its estimated population was 44,205 in 2015.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Newark had 42,574 people. There was 3,063.2 people per square mile (1,182.7/km²). Newark has 17,567 (41.3%) Whites, 2,002 (4.7%) Black, 279 (0.7%) Native Americans, 11,571 (27.2%) Asians, 621 (1.5%) Pacific Islanders, 7,735 (18.2%) from other races, and 2,799 (6.6%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 14,994 persons (35.2%).
The Census reported that 42,428 people (99.7% of the population) lived in households.
There were 12,972 households, out of which 5,643 (43.5%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 7,832 (60.4%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 1,716 (13.2%) had a female householder with no husband present, 786 (6.1%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 659 (5.1%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 93 (0.7%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 1,942 households (15.0%) were made up of individuals and 705 (5.4%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.27. There were 10,334 families (79.7% of all households); the average family size was 3.60.
- Terry Alderete, businesswoman
- Bayley, professional wrestler
- Larry Bettencourt, NFL player for the Green Bay Packers, MLB player for the St. Louis Browns
- Paul Bostaph, drummer
- Rollie Fingers, MLB Hall of Fame relief pitcher
- Steven J. Lopes, Bishop of the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of Saint Peter
- Rocky Pamplin, former football player, member of the Beach Boys.[source?]
- Joe Rudi, MLB player
- Christopher Titus, comedian
- Bill Walsh lived in Newark from 1957–60 while working at Washington High School in Fremont.
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA – Newark city". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "Demographic Profile Bay Area Census".
- "Terry Alderete". Hispanic Community Affairs Council. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- Argus, Saturday, January 23, 1965, Page 4
- TV.com. "Christopher Titus". TV.com. Archived from the original on 2017-09-10. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty by David Harris