Orlando is a city in the center of the U.S. state of Florida. It is the county seat of Orange County. It contains 199,336 people as of 2004. It is number six among cities in Florida by number of people. The current mayor, or leader, of Orlando is Buddy Dyer.
|City of Orlando|
The City Beautiful
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Incorporated (town)||July 31, 1875|
|• Mayor||Buddy Dyer (D)|
|• Total||294.61 km2 (113.75 sq mi)|
|• Land||272.51 km2 (105.22 sq mi)|
|• Water||22.10 km2 (8.53 sq mi)|
|• Urban||1,690.3 km2 (652.64 sq mi)|
|Elevation||25 m (82 ft)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||73rd, U.S.|
|• Density||1,017.10/km2 (2,634.27/sq mi)|
|• Urban||1,510,516 (32nd, U.S.)|
|• Metro||2,387,138 (24th, U.S.)|
|• CSA||3,129,308 (17th, U.S.)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||321, 407|
|GNIS feature ID||0288240|
|Major State Routes|
Orlando was created in 1836 when someone found a tree where the name "Orlando Reeves" was carved. Thinking it was a place of burial, they named the site "Orlando's grave". It was cut to Orlando later.
Before the American Civil War, Orlando was a center of trade in cattle. After the war, many people came to the town. Orlando became a city in 1875. Before 1900, Orlando was a center of orange farming. After 1900, it became a popular place for visitors.
In 1965, Walt Disney said that he would build a large amusement park southwest of the city. That place, Walt Disney World Resort, opened in 1971. After Walt Disney World opened, Orlando is now very popular as a tourism city, attracting millions of visitors each year from every place in the world.
Orlando International Airport is one of the biggest airports in the United States.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- 2010 List of Populations of Urban Areas. U.S. Census Bureau. census.gov. Accessed February 22, 2015.
- "Population xurityEstimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 24, 2014.