Park Geunhye (born February 2, 1952) is a South Korean politician. She served as the President of South Korea from 2013 until her impeachment in 2017. She is the second daughter of Park Chung-hee, former President of South Korea. On December 19, 2012, she was elected president of the country. She was the first woman president of South Korea, having taken office on February 25, 2013. In 2013 and 2014, Park was named the world's 11th most powerful woman and the most powerful woman in East Asia by Forbes magazine.
|11th President of South Korea|
25 February 2013 – 10 March 2017
|Prime Minister||Chung Hong-won|
Choi Kyoung-hwan (Acting)
|Preceded by||Lee Myung-bak|
|Succeeded by||Hwang Kyo-ahn (Acting)|
|Leader of the Saenuri Party|
17 December 2011 – 15 May 2012
|Preceded by||Hong Jun-pyo|
|Succeeded by||Hwang Woo-yea|
23 March 2004 – 10 July 2006
|Preceded by||Choe Byeong-ryeol|
|Succeeded by||Kang Jae-sup|
|Member of the National Assembly|
30 May 2012 – 10 December 2012
|Constituency||Proportional Representation No. 11|
3 April 1998 – 29 May 2012
|Preceded by||Kim Suk-won|
|Succeeded by||Lee Jong-jin|
|Born||2 February 1952|
Taegu, South Korea
|Political party||Saenuri Party|
|Alma mater||Sogang University|
Impeachment and suspensionEdit
On 9 December 2016, Park was impeached by the National Assembly on charges related to influence peddling by a top aide. Her presidential powers and duties have been suspended since the ratification of the impeachment proposal, and Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn has assumed those powers and duties as Acting President. She was officially removed from office on 10 March 2017.
On 6 April 2018, a three-judge panel of the Central District Court in Seoul sentenced Park to 24 years in prison and a fine of ₩18,000,000,000 (US$16,798,683). The panel said she was guilty of 16 out of 18 charges brought against her. 
- Sang-Hun, Choe (19 December 2012). "Park Geun-hye Is Elected South Korea's First Female President" – via NYTimes.com.
- "The World's 100 Most Powerful Women; 2015 RANKING". Forbes. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- Sang-hun, Choe (9 March 2017). "South Korea Removes President Park Geun-hye". The New York Times. New York Times. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- Choe Sang-hun (December 9, 2016). "South Korea Parliament Votes to Impeach President Park Geun-hye". The New York Times. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- "Park names Justice Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn as new PM". Yonhap. 21 May 2015. Retrieved 21 May 2015.