Sir Peter Mansfield FRS, (9 October 1933 – 8 February 2017) was an English physicist. He was awarded the 2003 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. He shared with Paul Lauterbur. He was known for his discoveries concerning Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). Mansfield was a professor at the University of Nottingham.
Sir Peter Mansfield
|Died||8 February 2017 (aged 83)|
|Alma mater||Queen Mary College, University of London|
|Known for||Magnetic Resonance Imaging|
Jean Margaret Kibble (m. 1962)
|Thesis||Proton magnetic resonance relaxation in solids by transient methods (1962)|
|Doctoral advisor||Jack Powles|
Awards and honoursEdit
- 1983 Gold Medal of the Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- 1984 Joint award of the Royal Society Welcome Foundation Gold Medal and Prize.
- 1986 Elected Fellow of Queen Mary College (now Queen Mary and Westfield College), London University
- 1987 Elected Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS)
- 1987 Elected President of the Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- 1988 Awarded Duddell Medal and Prize by the Institute of Physics
- 1988 Awarded Silvanus Thompson Medal by the British Institute of Radiology
- 1989 Antoine Béclère Medal from the International Society of Radiology and the Antoine Béclère Institute in Paris
- 1990 Royal Society Mullard Award (joint with John Mallard & Jim Hutchinson)
- 1992 International Society of Magnetic Resonance (ISMAR) prize (joint with P. Lauterbur)
- 1993 Knighted
- 1993 Silver Plaque of the European Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine and Biology
- 1993 Elected Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Radiology and Honorary Member of the British Institute of Radiology
- 1994 Elected Honorary Member of the Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Fellow of the Society of Magnetic Resonance
- 1995 Garmisch-Partenkirchen Prize for MRI
- 1995 Gold Medal of the European Congress of Radiology and the European Association of Radiology
- 1997 Honorary Fellow of the Institute of Physics
- 2003 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for Medicine with Paul Lauterbur
- 2009 was presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award by Prime Minister Gordon Brown, ceremony broadcast on ITV's Pride of Britain Awards
- "Fellows of the Royal Society". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2015-03-16.
- Tributes to Professor Sir Peter Mansfield University of Nottingham
- Mansfield, Peter (2003). "Peter Mansfield: Autobiography". Nobel Foundation. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- Peter Mansfield interview on Desert Island Discs
- University of Nottingham: Peter Mansfield homepage Archived 13 January 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "MRI pioneer and Nobel laureate Sir Peter Mansfield dies". 9 February 2017. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
Media related to Peter Mansfield at Wikimedia Commons