|Publisher||Playboy Enterprises, Inc.|
|First issue||December 1953|
|Based in||Chicago, Illinois|
The magazine featured articles about men's interests including clothing, sports, consumer goods, men's health, politics, and public figures. The magazine always showed large pictures of nude women, except for one year in 2016–2017.
In each issue, a provocatively posed "Playmate of the Month" was featured in a pictorial several pages in length at the center of the magazine with an accompanying "centerfold" photograph. Unlike traditional pin up art, Playboy humanized their models by describing their real world jobs, accomplishments, and goals.
Starting with the March 2016 issue, the magazine no longer had pictures of nude women. According to the company, "times change." Times changed again in February 2017 when nudity returned. In March 2020 the company announced that it would stop publishing the magazine on paper and only use digital copies instead. Between 1970 and 1985 Playboy was also printed in braille. It is also one of the few magazines whose microfilm format was in color, not black and white.
- Logan, Bryan (October 12, 2015). "Playboy will no longer feature nude women in its print edition". businessinsider.com. Business Insider. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- Somaiya, Ravi (October 12, 2015). "Nudes Are Old News at Playboy". nytimes.com. New York Times. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- "Historicizing Lifestyle".
- Donatelli, Joe (October 13, 2015). "Playboy is Doing What?!?". playboy.com. Playboy. Archived from the original on October 14, 2015. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- "Playboy to end print version of magazine". UPI. Retrieved March 31, 2020.
- "BLIND WIN RULING ON BRAILLE PLAYBOY". The New York Times. August 29, 1986. Retrieved October 16, 2011.
- SPIEGEL, DER. "Porno in Brailleschrift: Blinde bekommen scharfe Kurven zum Anfassen - DER SPIEGEL - Panorama". www.spiegel.de (in German). Retrieved October 29, 2020.
- "Re: Nicholson Baker and NEH". Ibiblio.org. April 16, 2001. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Playboy magazine.|