Pope Celestine III
Pope Celestine III (Latin: Coelestinus Tertius; 1106 – 8 January 1198), born Giacinto Bobone, was an Italian cleric of the Roman Catholic Church and the 176th Pope from 1191 until his death in 1198.
|Papacy began||21 March 1191|
|Papacy ended||8 January 1198|
|Predecessor||Pope Clement III|
|Successor||Pope Innocent III|
|Birth name||Giacinto Bobone|
|Died||January 8, 1198|
|Other popes named Celestine|
Cardinal Bobone was elected pope on March 30, 1191; and he chose to be called Celestine III.
After becoming pope, he was ordained a priest on April 13, 1191.
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Celestine III," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-3.
- Beckett, William. (1836). "Celestine III," A Universal Biography, Vol. 1, p. 720.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1836). "Celestine III," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 6, p. 400.
Media related to Caelestinus III at Wikimedia Commons
- . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.