Pope Pius IV
Pope from 1559 to 1565
|Papacy began||25 December 1559|
|Papacy ended||9 December 1565|
|Predecessor||Pope Paul IV|
|Successor||Pope Pius V|
|Birth name||Giovanni Angelo Medici|
|Born||31 March 1499|
|Died||9 December 1565(aged 66)|
|Other popes named Pius|
Early life Edit
Cardinal Medici was elected Pope on 25 December 1559.
Council of Trent Edit
After his death Edit
After his death in 1565, the body of Pope Pius IV was entombed at the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli.
Related pages Edit
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Pius IV," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Chisholm, Hugh (1911). Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. University Press. pp. 684–685.
- Antonio Carlo Napoleone Gallenga (1841). Italy: General Views of Its History and Literature in Reference to Its Present State. Saunders and Otley. p. 99.
- Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1840. p. 198.
- Tridentine Creed; retrieved 2011-10-31.
Other websites Edit
Media related to Pius IV at Wikimedia Commons
- . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- "Pius," Encyclopædia Britannica, 1911
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius IV
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Medici