Some countries are divided into provinces. The word "province" comes from the Latin word provincia.
In some countries, provinces have different names:
- Département: France
- Canton: Switzerland
- State: United States, Mexico, Brazil, Australia
- Bundesland: Germany and Austria
- Voivodeship: Poland
- District: Serbia (okrug), Belize, Bhutan
- Prefectures (県): Japan
- Estados: Venezuela
- County: United Kingdom
- Suba: Pakistan
- Pradesh: the Hindi word for states: Republic of India
- Fylke: Norway
- Parish: Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago
Departments usually have less power than provinces. States, Bundesländer and autonomous communities have more power than provinces.