Riverside is a city in California. It is the county seat of Riverside County. The city, which got its name from being close to the Santa Ana River, is the first place in California in which people sold a lot of citrus fruit. In 2008, about 311,575 people lived in Riverside. The city is the 61st biggest city in the United States and the 12th biggest city in California.
|City of Riverside|
City of Arts & Innovation
Location of Riverside County within the State of California
|Country||United States of America|
|Incorporated||October 11, 1883|
|Chartered||March 5, 1907|
|• City council||Mayor Rusty Bailey|
Charles E. Conder Jr.
Chris Mac Arthur
|• City manager||John Russo (Fired)|
|• Total||81.54 sq mi (211.18 km2)|
|• Land||81.23 sq mi (210.38 km2)|
|• Water||0.31 sq mi (0.80 km2) 0.37%|
|Elevation||827 ft (252 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||1st in Riverside County|
12th in California
59th in the United States
|• Density||3,997.66/sq mi (1,543.50/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−8 (Pacific)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−7 (PDT)|
92501–92509, 92513–92519, 92521–92522
|GNIS feature IDs||1661315, 2410965|
Because houses cost less money in Riverside than most cities in Southern California, people have been slowly moving there. This makes traffic bad as people from Riverside drive to work in Orange County and Los Angeles.
Riverside has a few schools, including La Sierra University, California Baptist College, and the University of California-Riverside. The city also has Riverside Municipal Museum, the California Museum of Photography, and the California Citrus State Historic Park. In 1873, the Parent Washington Navel Orange Tree was planted in Riverside, and it is one of two original orange trees in California. The historic Mission Inn is another popular place.
Riverside is part of the Greater Los Angeles Area.
- "California Cities by Incorporation Date". California Association of Local Agency Formation Commissions. Archived from the original (Word) on November 3, 2014. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "Over One Hundred and Twenty-Five Years of Service" (PDF). City of Riverside. Retrieved March 17, 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Riverside City Charter" (PDF). City of Riverside. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "City Manager". Riverside, California. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- "City Council". Riverside, California. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jun 28, 2017.
- "Riverside". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
- "Riverside (city) QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on April 24, 2015. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Riverside, CA snapshot
Media related to Riverside, California at Wikimedia Commons