|18th United States Trade Representative|
|Assumed office |
May 15, 2017
|Preceded by||Michael Froman|
Robert Emmet Lighthizer
October 11, 1947
Ashtabula, Ohio, U.S.
|Education||Georgetown University (BA, JD)|
Lighthizer is a partner with the law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, where he works to gain access to foreign markets on behalf of U.S. corporations. In the 1980s, he served as deputy trade representative during President Ronald Reagan's administration.
In 1983, during the administration of President Ronald Reagan, he became deputy trade representative. He negotiated two dozen bilateral international agreements on subjects ranging from steel to grain.
He has been a long time supporter of the U.S. steel industry. He convinced Japan, South Korea, Mexico, and the United Kingdom to accept “voluntary restraint agreements” to limit the amount of cheap steel they could dump on the U.S. market.
United States Trade Representative (since 2017)Edit
- Rasky, Susan F. (September 30, 1984). The steel trade negotiations; the experts who will forge the new quotas. The New York Times. Last visited January 3, 2017.
- Nomination of Robert Emmet Lighthizer To Be a Deputy United States Trade Representative. The American Presidency Project. Last visited January 3, 2017.
- Needham, Vicki (2017-05-11). "Senate confirms Trump's chief trade negotiator". TheHill. Retrieved 2017-05-11.
- MARA LIASSON (January 3, 2017). "Trump Picks Robert Lighthizer To Be U.S. Trade Representative". NPR.
- Robert E. Lighthizer. Skadden.com. Last visited January 3, 2017.
- Ronald Reagan: Nomination of Robert Emmet Lighthizer To Be a Deputy United States Trade Representative
- "Robert E. Lighthizer". Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom.
- Bill Allison (January 25, 2017). "Trump's Trade Pick May Face Hurdle Over Past Lobbying for Brazil". Bloomberg L.P.
- Estelle Tran (January 5, 2017). "STEEL INDUSTRY CHEERS NOMINATION OF LIGHTHIZER AS US TRADE REPRESENTATIVE". Platts.
- David Francis (January 9, 2017). "Trump's New Trade Guru May Actually Be the Adult in the Room". Foreign Policy Magazine.
- Jacobs, Jennifer (January 3, 2017). Trump Taps China Critic Lighthizer for U.S. Trade Representative. Bloomberg. Last visited January 3, 2017.
- Anne Swardson (January 19, 1987). "ROBERT E. LIGHTHIZER". Washington Post.