Roger Wayne Marshall (born August 9, 1960) is an American politician and obstetrician. Marshall is the junior United States Senator from Kansas since 2021. He was the U.S. Representative for Kansas's 1st congressional district. He was elected in 2016. Marshall is a Republican. In August 2020, he became the Republican nominee for the United States Senate seat being left empty by Pat Roberts' retirement. He would go on to defeat Barbara Bollier in the November 2020 election.
|United States Senator|
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2021
Serving with Jerry Moran
|Preceded by||Pat Roberts|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Kansas's 1st district
January 3, 2017 – January 3, 2021
|Preceded by||Tim Huelskamp|
|Succeeded by||Tracey Mann|
Roger Wayne Marshall
August 9, 1960
El Dorado, Kansas, U.S.
Laina Marshall (m. 1983)
|Education||Kansas State University (BS)|
University of Kansas (MD)
|Branch/service||United States Army|
Marshall ran against Tim Huelskamp in the Republican Party primary election for Kansas's 1st congressional district in the United States House of Representatives. Marshall had support from many of Kansas's agricultural groups. They were mad at Huelskamp for losing his seat on the House Agriculture Committee. This was the first time in 100 years that a Kansan was not on that committee.
2020 U.S. Senate campaignEdit
Kansas's 1st congressional district, 2016
|Republican||Tim Huelskamp (inc.)||45,315||43.5%|
- Special to the Sentinel Roger Marshall's office (May 28, 2015). "Marshall announces republican candidacy". M.mcphersonsentinel.com. Retrieved August 3, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Hogg, Dale (August 2, 2016). "Marshall Wins in Upset". Great Bend Tribune. Archived from the original on August 6, 2016. Retrieved June 24, 2019.
- Tate, Curtis (July 22, 2016). "Firebrand Kansas congressman feels heat in Republican primary". McClatchy Washington Bureau.
- Robertson, Joe (August 2, 2016). "Tea party's Tim Huelskamp ousted by challenger Roger Marshall in Kansas congressional race". The Kansas City Star.
- Brufke, Julie Grace (September 7, 2019). "Rep. Roger Marshall launches Kansas Senate bid". The Hill. Retrieved March 30, 2020.
- Arkin, James; Mutnick, Ally (August 4, 2020). "Kobach loses Kansas Senate primary". Politico. Retrieved August 4, 2020.
- Lev Facher (March 3, 2017). "Two months ago, this doctor was delivering babies. Now he's at the nexus of the Obamacare fight". Stat via Boston Globe Media. Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "Final Vote Results for Roll Call 256". Retrieved October 22, 2018.
- Sunnivie Brydum, Antigay Kansas Rep. Won't Be Returning to Congress, The Advocate (August 3, 2016).
- Curtis Tate, Tea party Rep. Tim Huelskamp heading to defeat in Kansas Republican primary, McClatchy DC (August 2, 2016).
- "Physician Marshall ousts US Rep. Huelskamp in Kansas primary". Newscenter1.tv. Archived from the original on August 5, 2016. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roger Marshall.|
- Congressman Roger Marshall Archived 2021-01-02 at the Wayback Machine official US House website
- Roger Marshall for Congress official campaign website
- Roger Marshall at the Open Directory Project
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Voting record maintained by The Washington Post
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Vote Smart
- Campaign finance reports and data at the Federal Election Commission
- Appearances on C-SPAN