ritualistic and political suicide method
Real life examples:
- Buddhist monks have been a staple in the history of self-immolation, the most famous being Thích Quảng Đức.
- Jan Palach burned himself on the roads of Prague, He did it in protest of the Soviet Union's infiltration of Czechoslovakia in 1968.
- Sahar Khodayari, an Iranian protester for women's rights in Iran lit herself on fire in front of the court that had sentenced her to prison for sneaking into an all-mens Azadi Stadium in Tehran in 2019.
- Wynn Bruce set himself on fire while protesting for climate change in the plaza of the Supreme Court Building in Washington, DC.
- The Oxford English Dictionary, 2009, 2nd ed., v. 4.0, Oxford University Press.
- immolate Archived 2012-04-28 at the Wayback Machine, Oxford Dictionaries.
- "Self Immolation: A brief history of the incomprehensible act". Malibu, CA Patch. 2020-04-10. Retrieved 2023-04-28.
- Steinzova, Lucie (January 14, 2019). "Fifty Years After His Self-Immolation, Czech Student Jan Palach Remains A Symbol Of Defiance". RadioFreeEurope RadioLibrary.
- Altaher, Nada (2019-09-10). "Iranian woman denied soccer stadium access dies after setting herself on fire". CNN. Retrieved 2023-04-28.
- Safi, Michael (2019-09-10). "Iranian female football fan who self-immolated outside court dies". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2023-04-28.
- "Outside the Supreme Court, a life of purpose and pain ends in flames". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2023-04-28.