Sheldon Gary Adelson (pronounced //; August 4, 1933 – January 11, 2021) was an American business magnate, investor, and philanthropist. He was the founder, chairman and chief executive officer of Las Vegas Sands Corporation, which owns the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore.
Sheldon Gary Adelson
August 4, 1933
|Died||January 11, 2021 (aged 87)|
Malibu, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||City College of New York|
|Occupation||Founder, Chairman and CEO of Las Vegas Sands|
Adelson also owned the Venetian Resort Hotel Casino and the Sands Expo and Convention Center. He also owned the Israeli daily newspaper Israel Hayom and the American daily newspaper Las Vegas Review-Journal.
In 2001, Adelson was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. In February 2019, he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Adelson died at his home in Malibu, California from the disease on January 11, 2021, at age 87.
- Primack, Dan (December 16, 2015). "Yes, Sheldon Adelson Bought The Las Vegas Review-Journal". Fortune. Archived from the original on December 16, 2015. Retrieved December 16, 2015.
- Yilek, Caitlin. "GOP mega-donor Sheldon Adelson 'furious' over Rex Tillerson comments: Report". The Washington Examiner. Archived from the original on May 23, 2017. Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- Cohen, Muhammad. "Las Vegas Sands Head Sheldon Adelson Illness Echoes Macau Bid History". Forbes. Archived from the original on March 1, 2019. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- Cano, Regina Garcia (1 March 2019). "Casino mogul, GOP donor Adelson getting treatment for cancer". AP NEWS. Archived from the original on March 1, 2019. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- Johnson, Peter G. (January 12, 2021). "Sheldon Adelson, Las Vegas Convention Visionary and Philanthropist, Dies at 87". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved January 12, 2021.
Other websites Edit
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- An Interview With Philanthropist Extraordinaire Sheldon Adelson, Marcia Friedman, The Jewish Press, December 28, 2011
- Who Is Sheldon Adelson, the Gingrich Super PAC's Billionaire Backer?, Molly Ball, The Atlantic, January 25, 2012
- Secrets of the billionaire bankrolling Gingrich's shot at the White House, Paul Harris, The Guardian, January 28, 2011