Sichuan (Chinese: 四川; pinyin: Sì Chuān; listen) is a province in western China with its capital at Chengdu. It is also informally called 蜀 (pinyin: Shǔ). Its Governor is Wei Hong and its CPC Ctte Secretary is Wang Dongming. With a population of 87,250,000 (2006), Sichuan is the third most populated administrative division of China. Sichuan used to be the province with the most people in China before Chongqing was separated from it, making Henan the most populous. However, when including migrants, Guangdong has more people than Henan.
|• Chinese||四川省 (Sìchuān Shěng)|
|• Abbreviation||SC / 川 or 蜀 (pinyin: Chuān or Shǔ |
Sichuanese: Cuan1 or Su2)
|• Sichuanese||Si4cuan1 Sen3|
Map showing the location of Sichuan Province
|Named for||Short for 川峡四路 Chuānxiá sì-lù|
literally "The Four Circuits
of the Plains and Gorges",
referring to the four circuits during the Song dynasty
(and largest city)
|Divisions||21 prefectures, 181 counties, 5011 townships|
|• Secretary||Peng Qinghua|
|• Governor||Yin Li|
|• Total||485,000 km2 (187,000 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||7,556 m (24,790 ft)|
|• Density||170/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||22nd|
|• Ethnic composition||Han - 95% |
Yi - 2.6%
Tibetan - 1.5%
Qiang - 0.4%
|• Languages and dialects||Southwestern Mandarin (Sichuanese dialects), Khams Tibetan, Hakka Chinese|
|ISO 3166 code||CN-SC|
|GDP (2017)||CNY 3.70 trillion|
USD 547.71 billion (6th)
|• per capita||CNY 44,651 |
USD 6,613 (22nd)
|HDI (2016)||0.780 (high) (23rd)|
|Literal meaning||"Four Rivers"|
The name 四川 (pinyin: Sì Chuān) is an abbreviation of 四川路 (pinyin: Sì Chuān Lù, translated as "Four circuits/subdivisions of rivers"), which is itself shortened from 川峡四路 (pinyin: Chuān Xiá Sì Lù, translated as "Four circuits of rivers and gorges").
There are 18 subdivisions within Sichuan, including both prefecture-level cities and autonomous prefectures:
The Li Bai Memorial (located at his birthplace, Zhongba Town of northern Jiangyou County) is a museum in memory of the Chinese poet of the Tang Dynasty, Li Bai. It was prepared in 1962 on the occasion of 1,200th anniversary of his death, completed in 1981 and opened to the public in October 1982. The memorial is built in the style of the classic garden of the Tang Dynasty.
Sichuan has a long history of folk and classical music. Sichuan opera is an ancient tradition that very is well-known. The Sichuan lantern drama is popular in Sichuan. The Sichuan Conservatory of Music in Chengdu is one of the oldest of musical education in China, having been established in 1939.
- Chinese Basketball Association
- Chinese Football Association Super League
- Chengdu Blades
- Chinese Volleyball League
- Sichuan Volleyball Team
- China Table Tennis Super League
- Sichuan Quan-Xing Table-Tennis Team
- Dazu Rock Carvings - officially part of Chongqing Municipality, not Sichuan
- Huanglong, Scenic and Historic Interest Area
- Jiuzhaigou Valley, Scenic and Historic Interest Area
- Mount Emei, Scenic Area
- Leshan Giant Buddha, Scenic Area
- Mount Qincheng and Dujiangyan Irrigation System
- Sichuan Giant Panda Sanctuaries
- Daocheng Yading Airport (Highest civilian airport in the world)
Notable Sichuanese peopleEdit
- "Doing Business in China - Survey". Ministry Of Commerce - People's Republic Of China. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Communiqué of the National Bureau of Statistics of People's Republic of China on Major Figures of the 2010 Population Census  (No. 2)". National Bureau of Statistics of China. 29 April 2011. Archived from the original on 27 July 2013. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- 《2015中国人类发展报告》 (PDF) (in Chinese). United Nations Development Program China. 2015. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- An abbreviation of "the four circuits of the Rivers and Gorges" The four circuits consist of Yizhou, Lizhou, Zizhou, & Kuizhou.