A sweatshop is a place where people work, that is very crowded, where the work is very hard and the place is not safe to work in. Many sweatshops are in poor countries but sweatshops are also found in rich countries, where they often have people who are new to the country working in them, or people who are not legal residents. The amount of money people are paid in sweatshops is lower than the amount paid to workers in a richer country, but is often higher than the worker would earn in their old jobs on farms, or working in manual labour. Children may also work in sweatshops. People in sweatshops often make clothes and shoes. Awareness wristbands for charities have also been made by sweatshops.
- Assembly line
- Body Shops
- Child labour
- Contingent work
- Corporate abuse
- Economic development
- Emerging markets
- Export processing zone
- Game sweatshop
- Race to the bottom
- SA8000 — Social Accountability Certification Scheme for Manufacturing Industry
- Sweating system
- Trafficking in human beings
- Union Organizer
Organizations working on the problem of sweatshopsEdit
- In Praise of Cheap Labor by Paul Krugman
- The Noble Feat of Nike by Johan Norberg
- Meyerson, Allen (1997-06-22). "In Principle, A Case for More 'Sweatshops'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-04-04.
- Kristof, Nicholas (2004-01-14). "Inviting All Democrats". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-04-04.
- Lesley Richardson, The Scotsman. "Charity Wristbands Made in 'Sweatshop' Factories". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- SweatFree Communities– Local Action Against Sweatshops
- United Students Against Sweatshops
- National Labor Committee Archived 2007-02-02 at the Wayback Machine
- Story about Adidas sweatshops Archived 2018-01-31 at the Wayback Machine
- Discussion about the pros and cons of sweatshops (video) Archived 2009-03-03 at the Wayback Machine
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- National Bureau for Economic Research paper: The Effects of Multinational Production on Wages and Working Conditions in Developing Countries
- Matt Zwolinski on the definition, history, and morality of sweatshops
- Academic Paper: "Sweatshops, Choice, and Exploitation"
- Two Cheers for Sweatshops - New York Times, by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
- The Campus Sweatshop Movement - American Prospect
- "Foreign owned businesses in Vietnam aren't sweatshops" Archived 2008-06-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Triangle Fire: Photographs from the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire
- Immaculata High School Child Slave Labor News Archived 2018-12-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Article on worker takeover of sweatshop in El Salvador
- Economist John Miller on sweatshops Archived 2006-10-25 at the Wayback Machine in Dollars & Sense
- Paradise Lost: sweatshop labor on the U.S. island of Saipan Archived 2017-09-15 at the Wayback Machine - Ms. magazine
- Rackets, muggings hit social networking sites: Online currency opens channels for money laundering - ComputerWorld
- Fashion Victims Archived 2008-12-31 at the Wayback Machine - War on Want