Tom and Jerry
Tom and Jerry is an American slapstick comedy animated short series and media franchise. The original cartoons were created in 1940, written and directed by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera. It is named after its two main iconic characters: a blue-grey cat named Tom and a brown house mouse named Jerry. Each cartoon shows the two characters getting into comedic fights or chases, in which they often get hurt cartoon-style.
|Tom and Jerry|
|Created by||William Hanna and Joseph Barbera|
|Developed by||Charles A. Nichols (1975-1977)|
Don Christensen (1980-1981)
Carl Urbano (1990-1994)
Jeff Davidson (2006-2008)
Darrell Van Citters (2013-present)
Peter Browngardt (2020)
|Written by||William Hanna and Joseph Barbera|
|Directed by||William Hanna and Joseph Barbera (1940-1958)|
Gene Deitch (1961-1962)
Chuck Jones (1963-1967)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||18|
|No. of episodes||863 (list of episodes)|
|Producer(s)||Rudolf Ising (1940)|
Fred Quimby (1941-1955)
William Hanna and Joseph Barbera (1956-1958)
William L. Snyder (1961-1962)
Chuck Jones (1963-1967)
|Animator(s)||Wang Film Productions|
Cuckoo's Nest Studios
Mr. Big Cartoons
Baer Animation Company
Seoul Movie Co., Ltd.
Toon City Animation
Hanho Heung-Up Company
Rough Draft Studios Korea
PIP Animation Services Inc.
Slap Happy Cartoons
|Running time||6-9, 22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Cartoons (1940-1967)|
Rembrandt Films (1961-1962)
Sib Tower 12 Productions (1963-1964)
MGM Animation (1964-1980)
Warner Bros. Animation (2001-present)
MGM/UA Entertainment Company (1981-1986)
Turner Entertainment (1986-present)
Warner Bros. Pictures (2001-present)
|Original network||CBS (1965-1980)|
Fox Kids (1990-1995)
Cartoon Network (1992-present)
Kids' WB (1996-2008)
HBO Max (2020-present)
A total of 114 Tom and Jerry shorts were produced by the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer cartoon studio from 1940–1958, starting with Puss Gets the Boot. Seven of these cartoons won an Academy Award for Animated Short Film.
Tom and Jerry still holds the record of the most awards in the Animated Short Film category, which is tied for first place with the Walt Disney musical production Silly Symphonies.
Later, Gene Deitch in Europe made 13 more cartoons for the series from 1961-1962. Then, Chuck Jones produced 34 more cartoons from 1963–1967. Finally, Hanna-Barbera worked with Warner Brothers Animation to make the last three Tom and Jerry cartoons: The Mansion Cat in 2001, The Karate Guard in 2005, and A Fundraising Adventure in 2014, making a total of 164 shorts and 863 episodes of the franchise, notable companies such as MGM, Hanna-Barbera Prouductions, Filmation, Warner Bros. Animation. Since then, the cartoon characters have made appearances in other media. notable animators like, Tom Ray, Iwao Takamoto, Jaime Diaz, Eddie Fitzgerald, Tom Minton, Charles M. Howell IV, Kent Butterworth, Cliff Voorhees, John Kricfalusi, Paul Sabella, Bill Proctor, Sandy Benenati, David Feiss, Butch Hartman, Scott Jeralds, Dan Haskett, etc. then the Tom and Jerry given rights by MGM in 1940 to 1990, Hanna-Barbera took over the franchise in 1974 to 2001, and now reinstated owned by Warner Bros. Entertainment in 2000 and Turner in 1986.
- 1943: The Yankee Doodle Mouse!
- 1944: Mouse Trouble
- 1945: Quiet Please!
- 1946: The Cat Concerto
- 1948: The Little Orphan
- 1952: The Two Mouseketeers!
- 1953: Johann Mouse
The following lists are about the Tom and Jerry media which were not made for the original cartoon series.
The following shows are re-launches of the original Tom and Jerry cartoons:
- The Tom and Jerry Show (1975)
- The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show (1980–1982)
- Tom and Jerry Kids (1990–1994)
- Tom and Jerry Tales (2006–2008)
- The New Tom and Jerry Show (2014-2021)
- Tom and Jerry in New York (2021-present)
Packaged shows and programming blocksEdit
- Tom and Jerry (CBS, 1965–1972)
- Tom and Jerry on BBC One (1967–2000)
- Tom and Jerry's Fun-house on TBS (1986–1989)
- Cartoon Network's Tom and Jerry Show (1992–present)
- Hanna-Barbera's 50th: A Yabba Dabba Doo Celebration (TNT, 1989)
- Tom and Jerry: The Mansion Cat (Boomerang, 2001)
- Tom and Jerry: Santa's Little Helpers (2014)
- Tom and Jerry: The Magic Ring (2002)
- Tom and Jerry: Blast Off to Mars (2004)
- Tom and Jerry: The Fast and the Furry (2005)
- Tom and Jerry: Shiver Me Whiskers (2006)
- Tom and Jerry: A Nutcracker Tale (2007)
- Tom and Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes (2010)
- Tom and Jerry and The Wizard of Oz (2011)
- Tom and Jerry: Robin Hood and His Merry Mouse (2012)
- Tom and Jerry's Giant Adventure (2013)
- Tom and Jerry: The Lost Dragon (2014)
- Tom and Jerry: Spy Quest (2015)
- Tom and Jerry: Back to Oz (2016)
- Tom and Jerry: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (2017)
- "Search - Animated Shorts 1943-1957". Ocsars Award Database. Retrieved 17 December 2013.