Toni Michelle Braxton (born October 7, 1967 in Severn, Maryland) is an American R&B singer-songwriter, record producer, and actress. She is mostly known as Toni Braxton. Braxton has won seven Grammy Awards, seven American Music Awards, and five Billboard Music Awards. She is famous for her husky alto vocal timbre. The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) named Braxton as one of the top selling artists of all time. She has sold over 40 million albums worldwide.
Toni Braxton on the Vh1 Divas 2009 Red Carpet
|Birth name||Toni Michelle Braxton|
|Born||October 7, 1967|
Severn, Maryland, United States
|Genres||R&B, soul, pop|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, record producer, actress|
|Labels||LaFace, Arista, Blackground, Atlantic|
|Associated acts||The Braxtons, Tamar Braxton, Babyface, Kenny G, Lisa Lopes|
Braxton's first album Toni Braxton (1993) reached number one on the US Billboard 200 albums chart. Toni Braxton was certified 8x platinum by the RIAA. The album sold over 10 million worldwide. Her second album Secrets (1996) also reached number one on the Billboard 200 albums chart. Her two singles "You're Makin' Me High" and "Un-Break My Heart" reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart. After this, Braxton filed for bankruptcy.
Her third album The Heat was released in 2000. The album did not reach number one unlike her previous albums. Her next album More Than a Woman (2002) reached the top ten on the Billboard 200 chart. Braxton named her album More Than a Woman in respect for American singer Aaliyah, who died in a plane crash the year before. Aaliyah's family had released a single with the same name after her death. Braxton released her fifth album Libra in 2005. The album's cover was listed as one of the "Sexiest Album Covers" by Maxim magazine. The album did better than her last album. Libra reached number four on the Billboard 200 albums chart. The song "Stupid", from Libra was one of the songs used by Tyler Perry for his movie Diary of a Mad Black Woman (2005).
Braxton left the music industry but returned in 2009. She released her sixth album Pulse. It reached number one on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, but it was a top ten hit on the Billboard 200. Braxton was a contestant on the seventh season of the reality television show Dancing with the Stars. She was voted off in the fifth week. On October 6, 2010, Braxton filed for bankruptcy again. A reality television series called Braxton Family Values aired on WE TV in 2011. The show is about the personal life of the Braxton family. There has been two complete seasons of the show. On September 18, 2011, Braxton was included in the Georgia Music Hall of Fame.
- "Toni Braxton Profile". E! Online. Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- "Discography — Toni Braxton - Toni Braxton". Billboard.com. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2006-12-18.
- "Gold&Platinum: Top 100 albums". RIAA. Archived from the original on 2006-12-14. Retrieved 2006-12-18.
- Company, Johnson Publishing (2000-07-17). Jet - Google Livros. Johnson Publishing Company. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- "Year End Charts — Year-end Singles — The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2006-12-26.
- Hogan, Ed. "Song Review - Un-Break My Heart". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved March 25, 2012. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Previous Album Sales Chart". HITS Daily Double. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- "Sexiest Album Covers". Maxim. Alpha Media Group Inc. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
- Whitmire, Margo (October 5, 2005). "Gretchen Wilson Zooms Straight To No. 1". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved August 23, 2008.
- Praxis Media. "Radio1 Rodos Greece ::: UK Forthcoming Albums ::: Charts, DJ Promos, Dance, Lyrics, Free Mp3 Samples Downloads". Radio1.gr. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- Caulfield, Keith. Godsmack Grabs Third No. 1 Album; Eminem Wows Digitally. Billboard. Retrieved on 2010-05-12.
- "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' Returns On Top; + 'Teen Mom II,' 'Top Shot,' 'Sports Show w/ Norm Macdonald' & More". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. 2011-04-13. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toni Braxton.|