Video editing is the act of changing video by arranging or changing the order, or content of the video. It is used to show information in things like video essays, movies, television and adverts (commercials). Video editing has been used more in recent years because more people are able to use it than ever, since the wide spread use of personal computers.
Video editing at homeEdit
The idea of editing videos at home was not practical at first, because of the price of video editing equipment. In fact, the original 2" Quadruplex System was so expensive, television companies usually only had one of them.
Ever since the year 1999 with the release of Windows ME, and the more successful Windows XP, almost every single home computer has had the capability to edit video. There are also more expensive products for this process, such as the ones created by Adobe, and Sony's Sony Vegas. There has also been an attempt by many companies, to try and make video editing, Automation, Google for instance with Google Photos, their photo storage service.
Types of editingEdit
Nowadays, video editing has many different aspects. Originally, it was only about cutting and resequencing. It has now exploded into many different processes, such as special effects. These types of editing have different jobs attached to them.
- Linear video editing, using video tape and is edited in a very linear way. Several video clips from different tapes are recorded to one single tape in the order that they will appear.
- Non-linear editing system (NLE), This is edited on computers with specialised software. These are non destructive to the video being edited and use programs such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro and Avid.
- Offline editing is the process in which raw footage is copied from an original source, without affecting the original physical piece of media. Once the editing has been completed, the original media is then re-assembled in the online editing stage.
- Online editing is the process of reassembling the edit to full resolution video after an offline edit has been performed and is done in the final stage of making a video. It is sometimes called Post Production.
- Vision mixing, when working within live television and video production environments. A vision mixer is used to cut live feed coming from several cameras in real time.
This bullet-pointed section has been taken from the original Wikipedia article, with minor edits.
Open source video editingEdit
Open source video editing, is exactly what it says on the tin. This software is usually free and is developed by members of the public, or a nonprofit organisation.
|Blender||https://www.blender.org/ for the source "https://developer.blender.org/"|
- See Google Photos: "https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6128826?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en"