Kohn at the 2012 Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting
March 9, 1923
|Died||April 19, 2016 (aged 93)|
|Alma mater||University of Toronto, Harvard|
|Known for||Density functional theory|
Mara (Vishniac) Schiff
|Awards||Nobel Prize in Chemistry(1998), Buckley Prize|
|Institutions||UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego|
|Doctoral advisor||Julian Schwinger|
- "Lois M. Kohn Obituary".
- Newhouse, Alana (1 April 2010). "A Closer Reading of Roman Vishniac" – via NYTimes.com.
- "Top Scientists On God: Who Believes, Who Doesn't". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
I am very much a scientist, and so I naturally have thought about religion also through the eyes of a scientist. When I do that, I see religion not denominationally, but in a more, let us say, deistic sense. I have been influenced in my thinking by the writing of Einstein who has made remarks to the effect that when he contemplated the world he sensed an underlying Force much greater than any human force. I feel very much the same. There is a sense of awe, a sense of reverence, and a sense of great mystery.
- From Exile to Excellence, by Karin Hanta (Austria Culture Vol. 9 No. 1 January/February 1999)
- Such as Peter Agre, Nadine Gordimer, Yuan T. Lee, Elinor Ostrom, Werner Arber, David Gross, James Mirrlees, Carlo Rubbia, Paul J. Crutzen, Mario J. Molina, Amartya Sen, Peter Doherty (scientist), Douglass North, John Sulston, Murray Gell-Mann, Harold Kroto, Douglas Osheroff, Muhammad Yunus
- "Stockholm Memorandum," Nobel-cause.de, 2011
- Pernett, Stephanie (April 22, 2016). "UCSB Professor and Nobel Laureate Walter Kohn Passes Away at 93". Daily Nexus. Santa Barbara, California. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- "Walter Kohn, Nobel-Winning Scientist, Dies at 93". The New York Times.com. April 25, 2016. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- Photograph of Walter Kohn: 
- "Quantum Chemistry Comes of Age," The Chemical Educator, Vol. 5, No. 3, S1430-4171(99)06333-7, doi:10.1007/s00897990333a, © 2000 Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.
- Freeview video interview with Walter Kohn by the Vega Science Trust
- Official homepage of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1998
- Kohn's faculty website at University of California-Santa Barbara. Retrieved November 11, 2006.