Waseda University is a well known university in Japan. The main campus is in Shinjuku, Tokyo. It was founded in 1882. Waseda thirty-six departments: thirteen undergraduate schools and twenty-three graduate schools. As of May 2016, there were 42,860 undergraduate students and 8,269 graduate students. It is called 早稲田大学 (Waseda Daigaku) in Japanese.
|Tōkyō Senmon Gakkō|
Motto in English
|Independence of scholarship|
|Established||October 21, 1882|
|Athletics||43 varsity teams|
Ōkuma Shigenobu started this school in 1882. It started with departments of political science and economics, law, and physical science. There was also an English language course where all students could learn English.
Much of the campus was destroyed in the fire bombings of Tokyo during World War II, but the university was rebuilt and reopened by 1949.
Waseda also has other campuses around the country:
Undergraduate Faculties and DepartmentsEdit
Graduate Faculties and DepartmentsEdit
This group of five universities in Tokyo started in 2001. Students from these universities may take courses at the other universities in the group. The members are:
- Gakushuin University
- Gakushuin Women's University
- Japan Womens University
- Rikkyo University
- Waseda University
Waseda is a member of:
- Universitas 21
- Association of Pacific Rim Universities
Many famous and influential people have graduated from Waseda including:
- Yasuo Fukuda
- Haruki Murakami
- Makiko Tanaka
- Shinichi Oishi - mathematician
- Tadashi Yanai
- Miori Shimosaka - professional Go player at Nihon Ki-in.
- Waseda University FACTS 2016
- "Waseda University Baseball Team: Renewing Ties with the University of Chicago after 72 Years". Waseda OnLine. The Yomiuri Shimbun.
- Kimura, pp. 74, 123
- Shimamura, K., Villora, E. G., Muramatsu, K., & Ichinose, N. (2005). Kagami Memorial Laboratory for Materials Science and Technology, Waseda University, 2-8-26 Nishiwaseda, Tokyo 169-0051, Japan. Journal of Crystal Growth, 275(1-2), 128-134.
- Media related to Waseda University at Wikimedia Commons
- Geographic data related to Waseda University at OpenStreetMap
- Waseda[permanent dead link]