FANDOM (previously known as Wikia and before that, Wikicities[source?]) is an organization for making websites that are wikis. Wikia was started in 2004 by Jimmy Wales, who also started Wikipedia, and Angela Beesley. The name of Wikicities was changed to Wikia on March 27, 2006 to prevent other people from mistaking it for a wiki on cities, and then renamed again on October 4th, 2016 to FANDOM for an unknown reason.
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|Founder(s)||Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley|
|Key people||Craig Palmer (CEO)|
|Employees||127 (September 2011)|
|Alexa rank||140 (July 2013[update])|
|Type of site||Wiki farm|
|Advertising||Direct and advertising networks|
Wikis hosted on FANDOM are about something which many people will like. All content on FANDOM is released under a free license, such as the GNU Free Documentation License or the Creative Commons. Anybody can change pages on wikis at FANDOM, so that no single person "owns" or is "the boss" of a wiki, and so that large communities can be made. The software used is MediaWiki.
FANDOM uses advertisements to generate money.
Articles on FANDOM are often written in more "in-universe" style; meaning that fictional characters and plots are written as if they are real. Some projects on FANDOM are more for people who are very interested in the topic.
- FANDOM, Inc. "FANDOM, Inc". Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- "Wikia.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Wales, Jimmy, (born 7 Aug. 1966), Founder, Wikipedia.org, 2001; Co-Founder and President, Wikia Inc., since 2004". Who's Who. Oxford University Press. 2008-12-01.
- Sites using MediaWiki. FANDOM is being listed on that page
- Introduction to Wikia's new look
- Special:Version on FANDOM
- Wikia Community Central
- Main Page of Wikia in English
- Main Pages of Wikia in many different languages
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wikia.|