Yolanda Saldívar (born September 19, 1960) is an American murderer. She was convicted of Selena's murder in March 1995. Saldívar is currently serving a life sentence in a Texas jail. She will be eligible for parole in 2025.
Saldívar was a registered nurse who met with Selena after a concert in 1991. They became friends quickly and Selena offered her a job as her fan club's president and another job, at her boutique (Selena Etc.)[source?]
On March 31, 1995, Saldívar and Selena met at a hotel room in Corpus Christi, Texas. Selena was there to get some missing documents that Saldívar stole from her. Saldívar claimed she was raped and needed Selena's help. Selena drove Saldívar to the hospital where doctors told Selena that Saldívar was not raped. They drove back to the hotel. Selena asked for the documents one last time. When Selena went to close the door, Saldivar took a gun from her purse and held Selena at gunpoint. In order to stop her from closing the door, she pulled the trigger and shot Selena in the back. Selena ran to the hotel lobby where she fell. Staff called 9-1-1. Selena was taken to a local hospital, but was declared dead. Saldivar went to her pickup truck and threatened suicide, but gave herself up after nine hours.
Saldívar's trial for the murder of Selena was followed by the Hispanic community in the United States. She was convicted and sentenced to life in prison soon after. It is believed that Saldívar will never leave prison in her lifetime because of the impact of her crime and the many death threats she has received if she were to ever make parole in 2025 
In popular cultureEdit
- "Offender Information Detail Saldivar, Yolanda Archived 2009-07-05 at the Wayback Machine." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on December 30, 2009. Enter the SID "05422564."
- Sam Howe Verhovek (April 1, 1995). "Grammy Winning Singer Selena Killed in Shooting at Texas Motel". The New York Times. p. 1.
- Yolanda Saldívar found guilty of Selena's murder. CNN, October 23, 1995. Retrieved on September 26, 2010.
- Gun That Killed Singer Is To Be Destroyed. The New York Times, June 8, 2002
- Bennett, David. "Somber Saldivar delivered to prison - Convicted murderer of Tejano star Selena keeps head down during processing." San Antonio Express-News. November 23, 1995. Retrieved on September 26, 2010.
- Trial of Selena's accused murderer begins Monday. CNN, October 9, 1995
- Mary Ann Cavazos (April 1, 2008). Selena's Killer Asks Court to Review Writ. Accessed April 6, 2008.
- "Actress Lupe Ontiveros dies of cancer at 69". CBS News. 27 July 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Natasha Perez on playing Yolanda Saldivar in Selena: The Series — 'I'm not her!'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 22 May 2021.