1939 (MCMXXXIX) was a common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar, the 1939th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 939th year of the 2nd millennium, the 39th year of the 20th century, and the 10th and last year of the 1930s decade. World War II started in this year.
|Centuries:||19th century – 20th century – 21st century|
|Decades:||1900s 1910s 1920s – 1930s – 1940s 1950s 1960s|
|Years:||1936 1937 1938 – 1939 – 1940 1941 1942|
- May 15 – Nazi Germany opens Ravensbruück concentration camp, the largest Nazi concentration camp for women
- September 1 – The Second World War begins when Nazi Germany invades Poland
- September 17 – The Soviet Union invades Poland
- October 6 – Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union divide and take over Poland
- November 30 – The Winter War begins
- Finnegans Wake by James Joyce
- "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" – by E.Y. Harburg and Harold Arlen, from the movieThe Wizard of Oz; won the Academy Award for the best song.