(Redirected from 957)
The 950s was a decade that started on 1 January 950 and ended on 31 December 959.
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||920s 930s 940s – 950s – 960s 970s 980s|
|Years:||950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture|
Establishments – Disestablishments
- World population is thought to be 250 million.
- Duke Boleslav I of Bohemia makes peace with Otto I.
- The Later Han Dynasty in China falls.
- June 12 – Emperor Reizei of Japan
- Erik the Red
- Allat the Maharana of Mewar comes to power.
- The Later Zhou Dynasty is founded by Guo Wei in China.
- The Northern Han Kingdom is founded by Liu Min in northern China.
- Gregory of Narek, Armenian monk, poet, and theologian
- Saint Romuald
- Emperor Shizong of the Liao Dynasty
- 2 January – Liu Chengyou, Emperor Yin of the Later Han Dynasty
- Kalbid forces defeat the Byzantines in Calabria.
- Emperor Suzaku of Japan
- Hugh, Duke of Burgundy
- Liudolf, Duke of Swabia and Conrad the Red rebel against German King Otto I.
- Charles, Duke of Lower Lorraine
- Herbert III, Count of Vermandois
- Al-Karaji, Persian mathematician and engineer
- Kisai Marvazi, Persian poet
- Abas I of Armenia, King of Armenia
- Ismail al-Mansur. third Fatimid Caliph
- Empress Dowager Yingtian of the Liao Dynasty
- Muhammad bin Musafir, Sallarid ruler of Tarum and Iranian Azerbaijan
- Rasso, Bavarian count, military leader, pilgrim, and saint.
- Rhodri ap Hywel, king of Deheubarth
- King Máel Coluim I of Scotland is killed in battle against the Highlanders. He is succeeded by Indulf I of Scotland.
- Chateau Chinon is built by Theobald I of Blois.
- Edred becomes king of all England.
- September 10 – King Louis IV of France
- King Eric I of Norway
- Emperor Taizu of Later Zhou
- Feng Tao
- Liu Min
- August 10 – Otto I the Great defeats Magyars in the Battle of Lechfeld.
- Eadwig becomes King of England.
- December 16 – Pope John XII succeeds Pope Agapetus II as the 130th pope.
- November 23 – Eadred, King of England
- An earthquake badly damages the Lighthouse of Alexandria.
- April 8 – Gilbert of Chalon, Duke of Burgundy
- Ali al-Masudi, Arab historian, geographer and philosopher
- Japan: The Tenryaku Era ends, and the Tentoku Era begins.
- The Chandra Hindu Dynasty ends. This starts a time of chaos in areas belonging to modern-day India.
- Olga of Kiev converts to the Eastern Orthodox Church
- Gormlaith of Lienster, wife of Olaf Cuarran, Malachy II and Brian Boru
- September 6 – Liudolf, Duke of Swabia
- Probable date of the start of the Marche dynasty.
- King Kshemgupta of Kashmir dies. He is succeeded by his young son Abhimanyu. Didda, his mother, becomes de facto ruler.
- The Later Zhou Dynasty goes against Liao Dynasty positions in the Sixteen Prefectures. They are defeated.
- Battle of Raban: Byzantines under John Tzimiskes defeat Sayf al-Dawla
- Basil II, Byzantine Emperor
- Samuil of Bulgaria
- Vladimir I, Prince of Kievan Rus
- King Gorm the Old of Denmark
- Masudi, Arab geographer, historian, and physicist
- Tuathal mac Augaire, King of Leinster, Ireland
- October 1 – Edgar becomes King of England.
- Dunstan becomes bishop of Worcester, England and London.
- Bruno I, Archbishop of Cologne divides the Duchy of Lorraine with his nephew Frederic.
- Emperor En'yū of Japan
- October 1 – King Eadwig of England
- November 9 – Constantine VII, Byzantine Emperor
- Ælfsige, Archbishop of Canterbury
- Chai Rong