|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||960s 970s 980s – 990s – 1000s 1010s 1020s|
|Years:||993 994 995 – 996 – 997 998 999|
- March/April – Pope John XV dies before being able to crown Otto III, King of Germany as Holy Roman Emperor. Otto resides in Pavia while waiting for the election of the next Pope.
- May 3 – Twenty-four year old Bruno of Carinthia, grandson of Otto I, Holy Roman Emperor and first cousin of Otto III, is elected Pope Gregory V. He is the first German Pope.
- May 21 – Sixteen year old Otto III is crowned Holy Roman Emperor by his cousin Pope Gregory V.
- October 24 – Hugh Capet, King of France dies and is succeeded by his son Robert II of France.
- Abu Mansoor Nizar al-Aziz Billah, fifth Caliph in Egypt dies and is succeeded by his son Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah.
- November 1 – Emperor Otto III issues a deed to Gottschalk, Bishop of Freising, which is the oldest known document using the name Ostarrîchi (Austria in Old High German).
- Niujie Mosque constructed in Beijing