Badakhshan (Persian: بدخشان - Badakhshān) is one of the 34 provinces of Afghanistan. It has 28 Districts. The capital is Feyzabad. It is located in the north-east of the country, between the Hindu Kush and the Amu Darya.
|• Type||Provincial government|
|• Governor||Shah Waliullah Adeeb|
|• Total||44,059 km2 (17,011 sq mi)|
| • Estimate |
|• Ethnicities||Tajik, Kyrgyz, Uzbek, Pashtun|
|• Languages||Persian, Pamiri, Pashto, Kyrgyz, Uzbek|
Badakhshan is bordered by Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Province and Khatlon Province in Tajikistan to the north and east. In the east is the Wakhan Corridor. The province has a total area of 44,059 km². Much of the land is the Hindu Kush and Pamir mountain ranges.
The residents of the province are largely Sunni.
Districts of BadakhshanEdit
|Arghanj Khwa||6||12,000||Created in 2005 within Fayzabad District|
|Argo||6||45,000||Created in 2005 within Fayzabad District|
|Baharak||7||Baharak||14,000||Sub-divided in 2005|
|Darayim||6||65,000||Created in 2005 within Fayzabad District|
|Darwaz||1||Nusay||21,000||Sub-divided in 2005|
|Darwazi Bala||1||11,000||Created in 2005 within Darwaz District|
|Fayzabad||6||Fayzabad||46,000||Sub-divided in 2005|
|Jurm||10||3,000||Sub-divided in 2005|
|Khash||10||48,000||Created in 2005 within Jurm District|
|Khwahan||2||Khwahan||14,000||Sub-divided in 2005|
|Kishim||9||63,000||Sub-divided in 2005|
|Kohistan||7||12,000||Created in 2005 within Baharak District|
|Kuf Ab||2||16,000||Created in 2005 within Khwahan District|
|Kuran wa Munjan||11||Kuran wa Munjan||8,000|
|Ragh||4||Ragh||37,000||Sub-divided in 2005|
|Shahri Buzurg||5||Shahri Buzurg||42,000|
|Shiki||6||26,000||Created in 2005 within Fayzabad District|
|Shuhada||7||31,000||Created in 2005 within Baharak District|
|Tagab||6||22,000||Created in 2005 within Fayzabad District|
|Tishkan||9||23,000||Created in 2005 from Kishim District|
|Warduj||7||17,000||Created in 2005 within Baharak District|
|Yaftali Sufla||6||39,000||Created in 2005 within Fayzabad District|
|Yamgan||7||20,000||Created in 2005 within Baharak District|
|Yawan||4||27,000||Created in 2005 within Ragh District|
Notable people from BadakhshanEdit
- Burhanuddin Rabbani - leader of the Jamiat-e Islami political party and former president of Afghanistan
- Tahir Badakhshi - political activist
- Latif Pedram - political activist and candidate for Afghanistan's presidency
- Mahboobullah Kushani - political activist and candidate for Afghanistan's presidency
- Mohammad Wali (Prime Minsiter) - Prime Minsiter (Amanullah Khan)
- Shah Wali Taranasaz - Musician
- Nasratullah Nasrat - Afghan cricketer
- "Database". www.afghan-bios.info.
- "Afghanistan Energy Information Center" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-01-10. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- Deer, William A.; Howie, Robert A, and Zussman, Joseph (1963) "Lapis lazuli" Rock-Forming Minerals Longman, London, OCLC 61975619
- "1 Badakhshan". www.rkabuli.20m.com.