The Bangsamoro is an autonomous region in the southern Philippines. It is officially named the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao or BARMM.
|Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao|
Filipino: Rehiyong Awtonomo ng Bangsamoro sa Muslim Mindanao
Arabic: منطقة بانجسامورو ذاتية الحكم فى مسلمى مينداناو
|Anthem: Bangsamoro Hymn|
|Creation plebiscitea||January 21, 2019|
|Turnoverb||February 26, 2019|
|Inauguration of government||March 29, 2019|
|Regional center||Cotabato City|
|• Type||Devolved regional parliamentary government within a unitary presidential constitutional republic|
|• Body||Bangsamoro Transition Authority|
|• Wa'lī||Khalifa Nando|
|• Chief Minister||Murad Ebrahim|
|• Deputy Chief Ministers||Ali Solaiman|
(Deputy for the Mainland)
(Deputy for the Islands)
|• Speaker of the Parliament||Pangalian Balindong|
|Time zone||UTC+08:00 (PST)|
|Barangays||2,590 (including 63 in the special geographic area in Cotabato)|
|^ Two-part plebiscite held in two dates. The first part held on January 21, 2019 was for the ratification of the Bangsamoro Organic Law, the charter legislation of the region while the second part was to determine the final possible expanded scope of the region's territory. January 21, 2019 is recognized as the "Bangsamoro Foundation Day" as per the Bangsamoro Administrative Code.^ The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) used the scope of the former Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao as its geographic reference for the 2020 census. Thus, Cotabato City and the Special Geographic Area were not included its population count for Bangsamoro. Statistics for said localities were included in the PSA's count for Soccsksargen.|
It replaced the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao in 2019.
The region includes Lake Lanao, one of the 17 most ancient lakes in the world. The Sulu archipelago region includes the Turtle Islands Wildlife Sanctuary (a UNESCO tentative site), Bongao Peak, and the Basilan Rainforest.
- "Bangsamoro Autonomy Act No. 13" (PDF). Bangsamoro Parliament. Retrieved February 24, 2021.
The seat of the Bangsamoro Government shall be in Cotabato City, unless otherwise provided by the Bangsamoro Parliament in a subsequent law.
- Arguilas, Carolyn (February 27, 2019). "Murad vows a government "free of all the ills of governance;" names 10 ministers". MindaNews. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Ul Khaliq, Riyaz (18 January 2021). "Philippines: Bangsamoro begins anniversary celebrations". Anadolu Agency. Retrieved 24 February 2021.
Last year, the BARMM passed the Bangsamoro Administrative Code, which marks Jan. 21 as the Bangsamoro Foundation Day and declared it a non-working holiday.
- "BARMM – Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Census of Population and Housing (2020). PSA.
- "Region XII (Soccsksargen)". Census of Population and Housing (2020). PSA.