Elgin (/[invalid input: 'ɨ']/) is a city in Illinois in the United States. It is roughly 40 mi (64 km) northwest of Chicago on the Fox River. Most of Elgin lies within Kane County, Illinois, with a portion in Cook County, Illinois. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 108,188. It is the eighth-largest city in Illinois and the 241st largest city in the United States. It is part of the Chicago metropolitan area.
|County||Cook and Kane|
|Township||Elgin, Dundee, Hanover, Rutland and Plato|
|• Mayor||Dave Kaptain|
|• Total||25 sq mi (60 km2)|
|• Density||3,779.1/sq mi (1,459.1/km2)|
|up 22.69% from 1990|
|Area code(s)||847 & 224|
|Income||Per capita: US$21,112|
|Home value||Mean: US$138,500 (2000)|
People from ElginEdit
Authors and academicsEdit
- E.C. "Mike" Alft, historian, author, and former mayor of Elgin.
- Nina Burleigh, journalist and best-selling author.[source?]
- Paul Flory, chemist, Nobel Prize winner (1974).
- Lloyd Hall, chemist.
- Douglas J. Mink, astronomer, co-discover of the rings around the planet Uranus.
- John Platt, computer scientist.
- Tom Shales, journalist, Pulitzer Prize winner (1988).
- Carleton Washburne, educator, author of the Winnetka Plan.[source?]
Business and inventionEdit
- Max Adler, vice-president of Sears & Roebuck, benefactor of Adler Planetarium.
- Lawrence B. Hamlin, violator of the Pure Food and Drug Act on claiming that his family's patent medicine could cure cancer.
- Lysander Hamlin, co-originator with John Austen Hamlin of Hamlin's Wizard Oil, father of Lawrence B. Hamlin.
- Jimmy John Liautaud, founder of Jimmy John's, benefactor of UIC's Liautaud Graduate School of Business.
- Earl "Madman" Muntz, marketer, car stereo and 4-track cartridge pioneer.
- James Roche, former chairman of General Motors.
Media and artsEdit
- Dan Andriano, musician.
- Joe Becker, musician.[source?]
- Bruce Boxleitner, actor.
- BarlowGirl, Christian rock band.
- Chelsea Brummet, actress.
- Josh Caterer, songwriter, musician, lead singer of indie rock band Smoking Popes.[source?]
- Chuck Harder, radio talk show host.
- John Austen Hamlin, magician, brother of Lysander Hamlin.
- Matt Hoffman, Big brother 12.
- Charles Ingalls, father of Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie) spent part of his childhood in the nearby Campton Township.
- Laurence Kaptain, international performer/recording artist, and Dean, College of Music and Dramatic Arts, Louisiana State University.
- William LeBaron, playwright, movie producer.
- David Otunga, Harvard educated lawyer, reality show contestant on VH1's I Love New York 2, fiance of singer/actress Jennifer Hudson.[source?]
- Jane Peterson, painter and artist.[source?]
- John Qualen, actor.
- David Strackany, folk singer-songwriter aka Paleo, born in Elgin
- Charlene Barnett (1928-1979), All-American Girls Professional Baseball League player and member of three champion teams.
- Brian Oldfield (born 1945), Olympic shot putter.
- Flynn Robinson (born 1941), basketball player for the Cincinnati Royals, Chicago Bulls, Milwaukee Bucks, Los Angeles Lakers, and the Baltimore Bullets.
- Althea Legaspi (March 01, 2010). "Alkaline Trio gets back to its roots in Chicago". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
Singer-guitarist Matt Skiba and singer-bassist Dan Andriano took turns on mic ...Check date values in:
- Althea Legaspi (2011-06-15). "Dan Andriano: Biography". BBC Music. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
Born 27 June 1977 ... Daniel Michael Andriano (born June 27, 1977 in Elgin, Illinois)
- "Biography". Partisan Records. 2011-06-05. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
David Strackany was raised in Elgin, Illinois.