John Cornyn III (born February 2, 1952) is the senior United States Senator for Texas, serving since 2002. He is a member of the Republican Party. He is the current Senate Majority Whip for the 115th Congress. Cornyn was Chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee from 2007-2011.
|United States Senator|
|Assumed office |
December 1, 2002
Serving with Ted Cruz
|Preceded by||Phil Gramm|
|Senate Majority Whip|
January 3, 2015 – January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Dick Durbin|
|Succeeded by||John Thune|
|Senate Minority Whip|
January 3, 2013 – January 3, 2015
|Preceded by||Jon Kyl|
|Succeeded by||Dick Durbin|
|49th Attorney General of Texas|
January 13, 1999 – December 1, 2002
|Governor||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Dan Morales|
|Succeeded by||Greg Abbott|
|Associate Justice of the Texas State Supreme Court|
January 2, 1991 – October 18, 1997
George W. Bush
|Preceded by||Franklin S. Spears|
|Succeeded by||Deborah Hankinson|
John Cornyn III
February 2, 1952
Houston, Texas, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Sandy Cornyn (present)|
|Residence||Austin, Texas, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Trinity University (B.A.)|
St. Mary's University (J.D.)
University of Virginia (LL.M.)
Cornyn was born in Houston, Texas on February 2, 1952. His family moved to Tokyo, Japan. He studied at Trinity University and St. Mary's University School of Law. He received his LL.M. from the University of Virginia School of Law. Cornyn and his wife Sandy have two daughters.
- ↑ "NRSC.org website". Archived from the original on 2008-11-20. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- ↑ "Rootsweb Senatorial Genealogies". Retrieved September 19, 2007.
- ↑ "The American School in Japan". Archived from the original on 2012-03-31. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Senator John Cornyn official U.S. Senate site
- John Cornyn for U.S. Senate official campaign site
- Cornyn Profile[permanent dead link] at SourceWatch