Austin is the capital city of the U.S. state of Texas. It is the county seat of Travis County. Austin is the 11th-largest city in the United States, and the 4th-largest in Texas. Its population in 2016 was 931,830. The University of Texas at Austin is located there.
City of Austin
Live Music Capital of the World, River City, ATX, The City with the Violet Crown
Location in the state of Texas
|• Mayor||Steve Adler|
|• City||296.25 sq mi (767.28 km2)|
|• Metro||4,285.7 sq mi (11,099.91 km2)|
|• City||931,830 (11th)|
|• Density||3,358.3/sq mi (1,296.65/km2)|
|• Metro||2,056,405 (31st)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
78701-78705, 78708-78728, 78730-78739, 78741-78742, 78744-78769
Austin was first called Waterloo in 1835. In 1839, it was chosen to be the capital city of The Republic of Texas and named for Stephen F. Austin. The University of Texas at Austin was founded in 1883.
Austin also has a city council with ten district representatives plus the mayor.
-6th Street (Also known as Pecan Street): Known for various bars, including old fashioned saloons, dive bars, gay bars, etc. Most of these bars host live music.
-Mount Bonnell: The highest point in Austin, TX. Come here for romantic moments and beautiful nature in front of scenic vistas.
-Capitol Building: Taller than the U.S. Capitol.
-Congress Ave.: One of the main streets of the city. Famous for the bat bridge which hosts millions of Mexican Free-Tail Bats. South Congress Ave. (Aka SOCO) is a famous tourist district with unique and odd shops, trailer park eats, and more live music.
Formula One has made an agreement with the city of Austin to host the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix in the city. A new racetrack was built to host the race. The United States Grand Prix began taking place in Austin since 2012.
- "Live Music Capital of the World". City of Austin. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- "Census: San Marcos fastest-growing U.S. city — again". Archived from the original on April 17, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Alejandra Matos, Austin Police increase reward for information in bombings case, Houston Chronicle (March 18, 2018).
- "Ten largest cities without a major pro sports franchise in North America". Yahoo! Sports. June 10, 2011. Archived from the original on October 22, 2013. Retrieved October 19, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Formula One returns to the United States". formula1.COM. Formula One Administration Ltd. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Austin, Texas.|