Depp at the 2009 premiere of his film Public Enemies in Paris
John Christopher Depp II
June 9, 1963
Owensboro, Kentucky, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, producer, musician|
(m. 1983; div. 1985)
(m. 2015; div. 2017)
|Partner(s)||Vanessa Paradis (1998–2012)|
|Children||2, including Lily-Rose Depp|
Depp is the son of an engineer and a waiter. He is of Native American, African-American, Belgian (Flemish), Dutch, English, French, German, Irish, Northern Irish (Scotch-Irish), Scottish and Welsh descent. He grew up with his brother Danny and his sisters Debbie and Christie spent a lot of time with his grandfather. When his grandfather died, Depp was seven years old. His family went to Florida and in the next years, they had to change homes often. Johnny became worse at school and had his first experiences with drugs at the age of 12. He was thrown out of school for smoking pot in the back of the school and started to make music in a band called The Flame, and later on The Kids.
His first movie was Nightmare on Elm Street in 1984, which was a success. Afterwards, he decided to go to an acting school in Los Angeles. He got a small part in the movie Platoon and shortly after this, he was offered a part in the TV series 21 Jump Street which he first turned down but finally accepted.
Since then he has been a star. He became a teen idol, which he didn't like. His drug use at that time generated headlines, but his career went on and he acted in lots of movies.
Depp is one of Hollywood's most popular actors who can play a huge range of roles. Normally he plays rather odd characters, for example in Finding Neverland. He is not only liked for his looks but also for his acting talent and his funny (and sometimes strange) actions.
His ex-wife is Lori Allison. He was engaged to Sherilyn Fenn in the late 1980s. He had a four-year relationship with Winona Ryder in the mid-1990s. He has a daughter, Lily-Rose Melody (born 1999) and a son John (Jack) Christopher III (born 2002) by his former partner, French singer Vanessa Paradis. He began a relationship with Amber Heard in 2012. The couple married in February 2015. She filed for divorce in May 2016.
Depp lives in Los Angeles. Depp has bought an island, which helps him calm his nerves.
- Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
- Private Resort (1985)
- Slow Burn (1986)
- Platoon (1986)
- Cry-Baby (1990)
- Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
- Benny and Joon (1993)
- What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (1993)
- Arizona Dream (1993)
- Ed Wood (1994)
- Don Juan De Marco (1995)
- Dead Man (1995)
- Donnie Brasco (1997)
- The Brave (1997)
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
- The Ninth Gate (1999)
- Sleepy Hollow (1999)
- The Astronaut's Wife (1999)
- Chocolat (2000)
- Before Night Falls (2000)
- Blow (2001)
- The Man Who Cried (2001)
- From Hell (2001)
- Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Happily Ever After (2004)
- Secret Window (2004)
- Finding Neverland (2004)
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
- The Corpse Bride (Voice, 2005)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
- Public Enemies (2009)
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
- Alice in Wonderland (2010)
- The Tourist (2010)
- The Rum Diary (2011)
- Rango (2011)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
- 21 Jump Street (2012)
- Dark Shadows (2012)
- The Lone Ranger (2013)
- Lucky Them (2013)
- Transcendence (2014)
- Tusk (2014)
- Into the Woods (2014)
- Mortdecai (2015)
- Black Mass (2015)
- Yoga Hosers (2015)
- London Fields (2015)
- Black Mass (2015)
- Allice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)
- "Johnny Depp Biography". Hollywood Movies, About.com. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- These claims are mostly undocumented, and have been criticized.
Media related to Johnny Depp at Wikimedia Commons