"Deșteaptă-te, române!"[a] (Romanian pronunciation: [deʃˈte̯aptəte roˈmɨne] (listen); variously translated as "Awaken thee, Romanian!", "Awaken, Romanian!", or "Wake up, Romanian!") is the national anthem of Romania.
|English: Awaken thee, Romanian!|
|National anthem of|| Romania
Former national anthem of Moldova
|Also known as||Un răsunet|
English: An echo
|Lyrics||Andrei Mureșanu, 1848|
|Music||Anton Pann, 1848|
|Adopted||1917 (Moldavian D.R.)|
|Until||1918 (Moldavian D.R.)|
The lyrics were composed by Andrei Mureșanu (1816–1863) and the music was popular (it was chosen for the poem by Gheorghe Ucenescu, as most sources say). It was written and published during the 1848 revolution, initially with the name "Un răsunet" (English: "An echo"). It was first sung in late June in the same year in the city of Brașov, on the streets of the Șcheii Brașovului neighborhood. It was immediately accepted as the revolutionary anthem and renamed "Deșteaptă-te, române!"
Since then, this song, which contains a message of liberty and patriotism, has been sung during all major Romanian conflicts, including during the 1989 anti-communist revolution. After the revolution, it became the national anthem on 24 January 1990, replacing the communist-era national anthem "Trei culori" (English: "Three colors").
The song was also used on various solemn occasions in the Moldavian Democratic Republic during its brief existence between 1917 and 1918. Furthemore, between 1991 and 1994, Deșteaptă-te, române! also was the national anthem of Moldova, but it was subsequently replaced by the current Moldovan anthem, "Limba noastră" (English: "Our language").
- The Moldovan Cyrillic transliteration is Дештяптэ-те, ромыне!
- Andrieș-Tabac, Silviu (2008). "Simbolurile Republicii Democratice Moldovenești (1917-1918). Interpretări semantice". Tyragetia (in Romanian). 2 (2): 291–294.
- The anthem's history Archived July 22, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Vasile Oltean - Imnul Național Deșteaptă-te, române!, Ed. Salco, Brașov, 2005, ISBN 973-87502-1-0
- "Romania - Deșteaptă-te, române!". NationalAnthems.me. Retrieved 2011-11-08.