Marie Thérèse of Austria
Marie Thérèse of Austria (Spanish: María Teresa de Austria; French: Marie-Thérèse d'Autriche; 10 September 1638 – 30 July 1683), was by birth Infanta of Spain and Portugal (until 1640) and Archduchess of Austria as member of the Spanish branch of the House of Habsburg and by marriage Queen of France.
|Marie Thérèse of Austria|
Portrait by Jean Nocret
|Queen consort of France|
|Tenure||9 June 1660 – 30 July 1683|
|Born||10 September 1638|
El Escorial, Spain
|Died||30 July 1683 (aged 44)|
Louis XIV of France (m. 1660)
|Louis, Grand Dauphin|
Princess Anne Élisabeth
Princess Marie Anne
Marie Thérèse, Madame Royale
Philippe Charles, Duke of Anjou
Louis François, Duke of Anjou
|Father||Philip IV of Spain|
|Mother||Elisabeth of France|
She was the only surviving daughter of Philip IV, King of Spain and Elisabeth of France. She was Queen of France as wife of King Louis XIV and mother of Le Grand Dauphin. During her lifetime in Spain, she was painted by the renowned painter, Diego Velázquez. Married to Louis XIV in 1660 following the Franco-Spanish War she played little part in politics during her lifetime. The Bourbon Claim to the Spanish Throne which sparked of the War of the Spanish Succession in 1700 stems from her. She also acted as regent of France for her husband at least once during her tenure as queen consort.
María Teresa married Louis XIV of France by proxy on 3 June 1660 at Fuenterrabia. Her father Philip IV and the entire Spanish court accompanied the María Teresa to the Isle of Pheasants in Bidassoa, where Louis XIV and his court met her. On 7 June 1660, she departed from her native country of Spain. On 9 June she married Louis XIV in a religious ceremony at Saint-Jean-de-Luz in the Saint Jean Baptiste church, which had recently been rebuilt for the occasion. She had a six children with Louis XIV but he would never love her. Marie Thérèse lived a quiet life with her Spanish attendants and had to put up with her husbands various affairs, notably with Louise de La Vallière and Madame de Montespan. She is a direct ancestor of the present Spainish King Felipe VI.
Death and legacyEdit
During the last week of July 1683, Marie Thérèse fell ill. She died a painful death on 30 July 1683 at Versailles in the arms of Madame de Maintenon. She was buried at the Royal Basilica of Saint Denis outside Paris on 3 September 1683. Her tomb was destroyed during the French Revolution.
- Louis of France, Dauphin of France (1 November 1661 – 14 April 1711) Dauphin of France married Maria Anna Victoria of Bavaria and had issue. Later married Marie Émilie de Joly in secret.
- Anne Élisabeth of France (18 November 1662 – 30 December 1662) died in infancy.
- Marie Anne of France (16 November 1664 – 26 December 1664) died in infancy or the Black Nun of Moret
- Marie Thérèse of France (2 January 1667 – 1 March 1672) known as "Madame Royale" but died in infancy.
- Philippe Charles of France (5 August 1668 – 10 July 1671) Duke of Anjou, died in infancy.
- Louis François of France (14 June 1672 – 4 November 1672) Duke of Anjou, died in infancy.
Media related to Marie Thérèse of Austria at Wikimedia Commons