Miami-Dade County, Florida
Miami-Dade County (formerly known as Dade County and many times referred to as simply Miami or Dade) is a county in the southeastern part of the state of Florida. The United States Census Bureau estimates that in 2006, about 2,402,208 people lived in the county. That is more than any other county in Florida. Among all United States counties, it is in eighth place. The county seat is the city of Miami. It is the largest county by population in Florida.
The Miami-Dade County Courthouse
"Dade County", "Dade", "Metro-Dade", "Greater Miami"
Location within the U.S. state of Florida
Florida's location within the U.S.
|Founded||January 18, 1836|
|Named for||Francis L. Dade|
|• Total||2,431 sq mi (6,300 km2)|
|• Land||1,898 sq mi (4,920 km2)|
|• Water||533 sq mi (1,380 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,449.8/sq mi (559.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Congressional districts||23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th|
County departments and agenciesEdit
- Miami-Dade Public Library System
- Miami-Dade Police Department
- Public Health Trust of Miami-Dade County Archived 2011-09-06 at the Wayback Machine Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Miami-Dade Aviation Department Miami International Airport
- Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department Archived 2007-12-17 at the Wayback Machine
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools (MDCPS) is the 4th largest school district in the United States. The Miami-Dade School Board is a nine-member publicly elected body responsible for overseeing the administration of the (MDCPS).
- South Florida Water Management District
- Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts
- Miami-Dade Public Defender, 11th Judicial Circuit
- Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office, 11th Judicial Circuit
- Circuit and County Court, 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida