Myuran Sukumaran (Tamil: மயூரன் சுகுமாரன்; 17 April 1981 – 29 April 2015) was an Australian citizen who was executed in Indonesia for drug trafficking as a member of the Bali Nine. He was born in London, England. His parents were Sri Lankan immigrants. He moved to Australia at a young age.
|Died||29 April 2015 (aged 34)|
|Cause of death||Execution by firing squad|
|Other names||Member of the Bali Nine|
|Criminal status||Executed by firing squad|
|Parent(s)||Raji Sukumaran and Sam Sukumaran|
|Conviction(s)||Drug trafficking (2006)|
|Criminal penalty||Death penalty|
|Imprisoned at||Nusakambangan Island, Central Java, Indonesia|
In 2005, Sukumaran was arrested at Ngurah Rai International Airport in Denpasar, Bali. Sukumaran and Andrew Chan were the apparent co-ringleaders of the heroin smuggling operation. After a criminal trial on 14 February 2006, Sukumaran was sentenced to execution by firing squad.
On 30 December 2014, Sukumaran's request for clemency was rejected by the President of Indonesia, Joko Widodo. Sukumaran and Chan were in prison at Nusakambangan Island in isolation cells. On 16 January 2015, Sukumaran and Chan were ordered to be executed after nine years in jail. On 6 February 2015, it was stated that Chan and Sukumaran would be executed by the end of the month. On 11 February 2015, Indonesian authorities approved the move of Chan and Sukumaran from Kerobokan prison to Nusakambangan Island in preparation for execution. On 24 February 2015, a final appeal to save Chan and Sukumaran from execution, with their lawyers appeal bid to challenge President Widodo's refusal to grant clemency, failed. The move from Kerobokan prison to Nusakambangan Island was on 4 March. On 6 April 2015, Chan and Sukumaran's lawyers faced the state administrative court to challenge President Joko Widodo's refusal to grant clemency, in a final attempt to stop the executions. This was also unsuccessful. On 24 April 2015, prosecutors ordered the final preparations for the execution of Chan and Sukumaran, as well as eight others on death row. On 25 April (ANZAC Day), the pair, along with 7 other death row prisoners, were given a 72-hour notice of their executions.
Sukumaran was executed by firing squad on 29 April 2015 along with Chan as well as Nigerians Raheem Agbaje Salami, Okwuduli Oyatanze, Sylvester Obiekwe Nwolise, Ghanaian Martin Anderson, Brazilian Rodrigo Gularte and Indonesian Zainal Abidin.
- Bachelard, Michael; Rompies, Karuni (8 January 2015). "No second chance for Bali Nine member Myuran Sukumaran, says Indonesian president Joko Widodo". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Bali Nine Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran to be executed together in Bali". Perth Now. 16 January 2015. Retrieved 17 January 2015.[permanent dead link]
- Roberts, George (6 February 2015). "Bali Nine pair Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran to be executed this month, Indonesian foreign affairs ministry tells Australian Embassy". ABC News. Australia. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- George Roberts (12 February 2015). "Bali Nine: Indonesia gives approval for Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran's transfer from prison to be executed". ABC News. Australia. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Bali Nine: Indonesian president Joko Widodo says executions of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran will not be delayed". ABC News. Australia. 24 February 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Megan Levy (4 March 2015). "Bali nine duo Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran being moved to execution island". Sydney Morning Herald. Australia. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Bali Nine: Indonesian government orders preparations be made for execution of Andrew Chan, Myuran Sukumaran". ABC News. Australia. 24 April 2015. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Bali 9 ringleaders handed execution notice". Sky News. 25 April 2015. Archived from the original on 22 September 2020. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Bali Nine: Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran await same fate as 'smiling assassin' Amrozi". ABC News. Australia. 26 April 2015. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Bali Nine: Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran executed by Indonesian firing squad". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 29 April 2015. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "Who were the eight people executed by Indonesia?". The Guardian. 29 April 2015. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- Han, Esther (9 May 2015). "Bali nine: Hundreds farewell Myuran Sukumaran at Sydney funeral". smh.com.au. Retrieved 9 May 2015.