city in Nara prefecture, Japan
Nara (奈良市, Nara-shi) is a city in Japan on the island of Honshu. It is the capital city of Nara Prefecture.
|Coordinates: 34°41′N 135°48′E / 34.683°N 135.800°ECoordinates: 34°41′N 135°48′E / 34.683°N 135.800°E|
|• Mayor||Gen Nakagawa|
|• Total||276.84 km2 (106.89 sq mi)|
(April 1, 2017)
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,400/sq mi)|
|• Tree||Quercus gilva|
|• Flower||Nara yaezakura|
|• Bird||Japanese bush warbler|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (Japan Standard Time)|
|City hall address||1-1-1 Nijō-ōji, Nara-shi, Nara-ken|
It has been recognized as a core city since 2002.
Many of the temples, shrines and ruins in Nara form "Historic Monuments of Ancient Nara". It is one of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. It includes
The Kasugayama old-groth forest is also identified as a world heritage site.
On 8 July 2022, former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was assassinated while giving a campaign speech in Nara.
The city is in the northern part of Nara Prefecture. It is on the border with Kyoto Prefecture.
- ↑ Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Nara" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 698; "Kansai" at p. 477.
- ↑ Jacobs, A.J. "Japan's Evolving Nested Municipal Hierarchy: The Race for Local Power in the 2000s," Urban Studies Research, Vol. 2011 (2011), p. 8 [PDF 8 of 14]; Buhnik, Sophie. "From Shrinking Cities to Toshi no Shukushō: Identifying Patterns of Urban Shrinkage in the Osaka Metropolitan Area," Berkeley Planning Journal, Vol. 23, No. 1 (2001), p. 135 [PDF 4 of 24]. Retrieved 2012-12-5.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO), The Historic Monuments of Ancient Nara. Retrieved 2012-8-29.
Media related to Nara, Nara at Wikimedia Commons
- Nara City website (in Japanese)
- Historic Monuments of Ancient Nara
- Geographic data related to Nara, Nara at OpenStreetMap