Padmashali (Telugu: పద్మశాలి భార్గవ బ్రాహ్మణుల సమాజం) or Padma Bramhana is a Hindu Bramhin in origin,and took up artisan tasks are predominantly found in South Indian States. Padmashali Bhargava Brahmins are Rugvedi Brahmins. The community members are traditionally weavers specialised in making clothes of all kinds. They engage as priests Brahmins for performing all rites and rituals and also perform services as temple Priests for other castes.
|Regions with significant populations|
|Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu,|
The term Padmashali is derived from two words Padma and Shali, The Padma means lotus and Shali means weaver. They support their Sanskrit origin with various myths and Puranas such as Kulapurana and Markandeya Purana.
The Padmashalis claim to be descendants from Bhrigu Rishi and Markandeya Rishi, Markandeya's son Bhavana Rishi who were born one hundred and one son; they took to weaving and the first clothes they wore was out of the fibres of the lotus stem so they came to be known as Padmashalis.
Although Padmashalis are related to Brahmins, they are considered as a backward (OBC) caste by the Indian government while forward caste in some states. The community is highly Sanskritised, with all men wearing the sacred thread and performing the similar rituals which north Indian Brahmins do, like North Indian Brahmin castes, their origin relates to sages as gothras.
The Padmashalis basically perform Brahmin rites and even today a group who are qualified as agama shastra pandits perform the poojas and vedic rites. They are identified as Padma Brahmins.
- Padmashali Bhargava Brahmins Community population[permanent dead link]
- The Indian Textile Journal. Business Press. 1984. p. 63.
- Swarnalatha, P. (2005). The World of the Weaver in Northern Coromandel, C.1750-c.1850. Orient Blackswan. pp. 31–41. ISBN 9788125028680.
- Journal of Indian Textile History. Calico Museum of Textiles. 1955. p. 56.
- "Padmashali". Archived from the original on 2013-05-12. Retrieved 2013-02-24.
- "Dubai: Shettygars of Mangalore Form 'Padmashali UAE'". www.daijiworld.com. Retrieved 2019-08-14.
- Padmashali Network, Global Archived 2013-06-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Padmashali International Welfare Association, Vijayawada
- POPA - Padmashali Officials and Professionals Association Archived 2017-09-14 at the Wayback Machine
- World Padmashali Foundation
- Padmashali Samaj Seva Sangh - an informational portal for Padmashalis Archived 2013-06-21 at the Wayback Machine
- Karnataka Padmashali Sangha Archived 2013-06-01 at the Wayback Machine
- Weavers Welfare Trust
- Nirmal Padmashali Sanstha Archived 2015-08-01 at the Wayback Machine
- Akhil Padmashali Samaj
- Padmashali Graduates and Students Association Archived 2013-03-02 at the Wayback Machine
- Telangana Padmashali Udyogula Sangam
- North American Padmashali Association