Psycho (1960 movie)
Psycho is a 1960 American slasher movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It is set in Arizona and California. It is considered to be one of the first modern horror movies since modern horror began in the 1960s.
|Directed by||Alfred Hitchcock|
|Screenplay by||Joseph Stefano|
by Robert Bloch
|Produced by||Alfred Hitchcock|
|Cinematography||John L. Russell|
|Edited by||George Tomasini|
|Music by||Bernard Herrmann|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures[N 1]|
|Box office||$50 million|
It tells the story of a young woman, played by Janet Leigh, who steals money from her workplace and runs away. When she stops at a motel for the night she is murdered by the hotel's owner, played by Perkins. The owner has dissociative identity disorder and is obsessed with his dead mother. The movie is famous for the unexpected death of Leigh's character early in the movie in the 'Shower Scene' which has in turn become very famous in popular culture. It is now known as the first "Slasher movie" and one of Hitchcock's greatest movies.
The movie is based on the book of the same name by Robert Bloch. This was inspired by the real life crimes of Wisconsin serial killer, Ed Gein. The movie was nominated for four Academy Awards including Best Director. The movie was the first motion picture to feature a toilet flushing.
The movie was remade in 1998.
Main cast change
|Anthony Perkins||Norman Bates|
|Janet Leigh||Marion Crane|
|Vera Miles||Lila Crane|
|John Gavin||Sam Loomis|
|Martin Balsam||Detective Milton Arbogast|
|John McIntire||Sheriff Al Chambers|
|Simon Oakland||Dr. Fred Richmond|
- "Muere Mac, el mítico cartelista de 'Doctor Zhivago' y 'Psicosis'". El Periódico de Catalunya (in Spanish). July 21, 2018. Archived from the original on July 27, 2018. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- "Psycho (1960): Notes". tcm.com. Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved April 25, 2017.
- "Hitchcock's Psycho Premiered 50 Years Ago". Television Obscurities. Robert Jay. June 16, 2010. Retrieved September 18, 2021.
- Hedrick, Lizzie (8 September 2015). "8 Reasons Psycho Taps into the Psyche". USC Dornsife. University of Southern California. Archived from the original on 18 June 2020. Retrieved 17 June 2020.
- "Psycho (1960)". British Film Institute. Archived from the original on January 16, 2015. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- "Psycho (1960)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- Nixon, Rob. "The Critics' Corner: PSYCHO". Turner Classic Movies. Archived from the original on December 30, 2014. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- "42 Incredibly Weird Facts You'll Want to Tell All Your Friends". BuzzFeed.
Other websites change
- Psycho (1960) on IMDb
- Psycho (1960) at Rotten Tomatoes
- Alfred Hitchcock Fans Online - Psycho (1960) Archived 2008-11-06 at the Wayback Machine
- Bright Lights Film Journal article on Psycho[permanent dead link]
- Filmsite: Psycho In-depth analysis of the movie.
- Psychohouse WebSite Archived 2007-11-30 at the Wayback Machine
- The Psycho Movies Web Site Archived 2015-10-31 at the Wayback Machine
- Review of the UK Special Edition DVD release, by Brian Elliott of DVD Reviewer