Queen Letizia of Spain
|Queen of Spain|
|Born||15 September 1972|
Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
|Spouse||Alonso Guerrero Pérez |
(m. 1998; div. 1999)
Felipe, Prince of Asturias
|Issue||Leonor, Princess of Asturias|
|House||Bourbon-Anjou (by marriage)|
|Father||Jesús José Ortiz Álvarez|
|Mother||María de la Paloma Rocasolano Rodríguez|
Before her marriage to the prince, she worked as a journalist for several mass media companies. These included the Austrian newspaper La Nueva España, ABC and EFE. She also presented the news on television. In 2000, she received the Larra Prize for her work as the best journalist under 30 years of age.
In 1998, she married Alfonso Guerrero. The next year they divorced. Later she met the Prince Felipe at a dinner party. They married on May 22, 2004. Their daughter Leonor was born in October 2005. She is the second in the line of succession for the Spanish Crown. Sofía, her second daughter, was born in April 2007.
Since her second wedding, she has had the title of Princess of Asturias. She accompanies her husband on official travel wherever she can. She very much likes fashion. People and the press are always noticing what she is wearing.
Following the abdication of her father-in-law in June 2014, her husband succeeded to the Spanish throne as Felipe VI with Letizia as his queen.
Titles and styles change
- 15 September 1972 – 6/7 August 1998: Miss Doña Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano
- 6/7 August 1998 – 1999: Mrs. Doña Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano de Guerrero
- 1999 – 22 May 2004: Ms. Doña Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano
- 22 May 2004 – 19 June 2014: Her Royal Highness The Princess of Asturias, Princess of Girona, Princess of Viana, Duchess of Montblanc, Countess of Cervera, Lady of Balaguer
- 19 June 2014 – present: Her Majesty The Queen