Sherrod Campbell Brown (born November 9, 1952) is the senior United States Senator from Ohio and a member of the Democratic Party. Before his election to the Senate, he was a member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Ohio's 13th congressional district from 1993 to 2007. He previously served as the Ohio Secretary of State (1983–1991) and a member of the Ohio House of Representatives (1974–1982).
|United States Senator|
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2007
Serving with Rob Portman
|Preceded by||Mike DeWine|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Ohio's 13th district
January 3, 1993 – January 3, 2007
|Preceded by||Don Pease|
|Succeeded by||Betty Sutton|
|47th Ohio Secretary of State|
|Preceded by||Anthony J. Celebrezze Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Bob Taft|
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives|
from the 61st district
January 3, 1975 – December 31, 1982
|Preceded by||Joan Douglass|
|Succeeded by||Frank Sawyer|
Sherrod Campbell Brown
November 9, 1952
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Spouse(s)||Larke Ummel Brown (div. 1987)|
|Alma mater||Yale University (B.A.)|
Ohio State University (M.P.A./M.A.)
After winning his third term in 2018, Brown was seen as a potential candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020 and began exploring a run in January 2019. On March 7, 2019, he announced that he would not run for president.
Brown was born on November 9, 1952 in Mansfield, Ohio. His ancestors the Campbells were slave owners who forced many Cherokee people out of Georgia, in acts of genocide. Brown studied at Yale University and at Ohio State University.
He was married to Larke Ummel until they divorced in 1987. He is currently married to Connie Schultz.
- "Sen. Sherrod Brown Begins Tour Ahead of 2020 Decision". U.S. News & World Report. January 30, 2019. Retrieved September 25, 2020.
- Strauss, Daniel (March 7, 2019). "Sherrod Brown will not run for president in 2020". Retrieved September 25, 2020.
- "Charles F Campbell in the 1860 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules". AncestryLibrary.com. p. 45. Retrieved 2020-11-11.
Name: Charles F Campbell; Residence Date: 1860; Residence Place: Jasper, Jasper, Georgia, USA; Number of Enslaved People: 17
- Hill, Sarah H. (2017-02-20). "All Roads Led from Rome: Facing the History of Cherokee Expulsion". Southern Spaces. Retrieved 2020-11-11.
- "1". RootsWeb. Archived from the original on 2019-04-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sherrod Brown.|
- United States Senator Sherrod Brown official U.S. Senate site
- Sherrod Brown for U.S. Senate official campaign site
- Sen. Sherrod Brown's Blog at Huffington Post
- Collected news and commentary at the Cleveland Plain Dealer
- Profile Archived 2013-11-26 at the Wayback Machine at Campaign 2004 at USA Today